Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Damp Stone Bug  (Read 999 times)

Fallonius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Damp Stone Bug
« on: December 04, 2007, 01:29:00 pm »

I never had this problem before but it seems that if there is water above you, the level below if you try to mine out has water icons on the stone which causes multiple damp stone messages and makings digging a pain in the butt since you know theres water above and it can't leak down.

I think this should be a bug since if you attempt to dig up, you should know there is water above you first. There is no damp stone if your above a lake and try to build down, so it shouldnt be the other way around.

Also, there should be a way to disable the damp stone stop mining option.

Align

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Damp Stone Bug
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2007, 09:23:00 am »

I thought water could and would leak down if you dug immediately below it.
My stray dogs often chase fire imps back into the magma pipe and then continue fighting while burning and drowning in the lava. Truly their loyalty knows no bounds, but perhaps it should.

Fallonius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2007, 09:51:00 am »

Nope, haven't had a problem yet, and the river is actually running over my dwarfs bedrooms, hope that doesn't keep them awake or anything with "noise"

I would assume water would leak if you start digging up towards the water, but i wouldnt see why you would get damp stone if you are just digging under it on another z level.

Elvenshae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2007, 11:22:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Fallonius:
<STRONG>I would assume water would leak if you start digging up towards the water, but i wouldnt see why you would get damp stone if you are just digging under it on another z level.</STRONG>

Because any stone that is adjacent to water is marked as damp.

So, the stone on the level below is marked as damp, on the off chance that you were planning on putting an up stairway there.

It's annoying, but probably preferable to accidentally drowning your whole fortress.

Patryn of Elvenshae

Killer-of-Lawyers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2007, 07:07:00 pm »

You wouldn't always know that there was water above you.  For instance, an underground lake or river could be mined up into with out you knowing it.  A designation to ignore hot/damp stones in an area could be useful, however.

coelocanth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2007, 07:29:00 pm »

When cave-ins are rewritten, I can imagine a thousand tons of water being enough to crush a thin ceiling and cause a megaflood when digging right under a lake...?
Especially if you're digging in a soil layer

Killer-of-Lawyers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2007, 08:09:00 pm »

Indeed.  Although, I wonder if we'll have more support options when that comes.  Like timber supports as you would in mines, or the ability to build reinforced ceilings and walls through dirt.