Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: More Ways To Die (natural disaster ideas)  (Read 785 times)

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
More Ways To Die (natural disaster ideas)
« on: September 08, 2010, 05:22:55 am »

Despite the title, all these suggestions are carefully thought out to be eminently survivable with a bit of forward planning but still have the potential to tax your crisis-response skills.

Earthquakes: Every wall and constructed floor in the fortress has to pass a defence roll that varies in size according to the size of the quake. Some regions should get more of these than others; I suppose Toady could even model actual tectonic plates if he wanted to, though how that'd mesh with the HFS I've no idea. Frequent earthquakes should probably be something you're warned about on embark a la acquifiers.

Forest fires: I think these might actually have arrived with the overhauled temperature system, but dead grass and shrubs should have a much lower flashpoint. In the interests of continued player sanity it might be a good idea to hold off on this until bucket brigades are implemented.

Landslides: This would be a real bugger to implement, but lots of Fun and easy to weaponise. The game would have to track how wet an earth tile was becoming (edit: turns out this is going in anyway, as part of the irrigation overhaul), and if it reached a certain point of saturation it would turn into "mud", which behaves like cold magma that sets rather than evaporates. If it happens to enough tiles in one place, it changes the terrain, not necessarily in ways that the player is happy with. A tree on or adjacent to a tile should protect it from turning into mud.
This mechanic would also open up the possibility of quicksand. :D

Floods: Could be seasonal, based on regional rainfall or a bit of both. Brooks turn into minor rivers and thus unwadeable for a while, larger rivers slowly overflow their banks and try to fill up the next z-level. Some floods could happen slowly enough to build walls to contain them, possibly out of sandbags, but occasionally you could have flash floods capable of demolishing bridges and sweeping away anyone unlucky enough to be in their path.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2010, 05:08:05 pm by Jake »
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

Kattaroten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: More Ways To Die (natural disaster ideas)
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2010, 05:47:25 am »

I really like the earthquake idea and i think forestfires shouldnt be to hard to implement im a bit worried about tracking the "wetness" of a tile i think it could prove a major fps-sink just look at temperature!
Dwarf Fortress: You have a team of hundreds working for four years to make a game where you save the world again. We have one guy for four years make a near-infinite world generator, write the physics,generate histories,form detailed descriptions of every human, elf, dwarf, and goblin generated, caverns, and huge randomly generated monsters made out of who knows what. You. guys. suck.

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
  • Pile the bodies, set them aflame.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2010, 06:15:43 am »

I have an idea, Volcano's errupting.I don't know how this could be put in but in volcano area's a tectonic plate movement could case a volcano on the embark or land space to errupt causing magma to flow into the fort.

And earthquakes should open large holes in the ground.

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2010, 08:53:34 am »

I'm pretty sure volcanic eruptions are on the to-do list already, and earthquakes opening up huge holes would occur naturally if cavern walls were capable of collapsing if over-stressed, which I'm fairly sure will be coming in with seige weapons. Great yawning crevasses opening up along fault-lines would be cool as well, but complicated to implement.

And fair point about the FPS issue, Kattaroten, but I wasn't thinking that wetness should be tracked at anywhere near as much detail as temperature; maybe three states, Damp, Wet and Saturated.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

TheyTarget

• Bay Watcher
  • Memento Mori
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2010, 09:22:09 am »

I want to say. We need volcanic eruptions. I can just seem magma pouring out of my lava forges, and all hell breaking loose. Earth quakes seems like a really good idea that I havent heard before. And flooding has been talked about in many different ways. Suggest you search it, cause they have a lot of good ideas.
Code: [Select]
This is a platinum warhammer. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. it menaces with spikes of platinum.
there is an image of the goblin Utes Gozrusrozsnus and dwarves in elf bone. The goblin is making a plaintive gesture. the dwarves are striking a menacing pose.
this image relates to the slaying of Utes Gozrusroz

Aramco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2010, 04:32:39 pm »

I once poured magma on a mountain side, when it hit the bottom, a wave of fire swept over my fort. So forest fires already exist. Without magma though, I don't think so. And earthquakes should cave-in any dug out areas without enough support. (Like a 10X10 room would need a support to not collapse.)
Or maybe there's a god who's just completely insane and sends you to Detroit, Michigan in a new body if you ever utter the name "Pat Sajak".