Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarf Mode FPS Tips  (Read 2234 times)

derekiv

• Bay Watcher
  • The smile.
    • View Profile
Dwarf Mode FPS Tips
« on: September 08, 2010, 03:05:58 pm »

Just would like to collect them in a thread. Hear is mine:
Designate stuff in sections. Designated large areas to be dug at once decreases fps.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Mode FPS Tips
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2010, 03:26:38 pm »

Small embark, 3x3 max if you can help it. Try to avoid 4x4's as you will take a serious FPS hit.

Always build very wide corridors. At minimum 3 tiles wide. Preferably 4-5 if it is a heavy traffic area.

No flowing liquids.

Turn off temperature.

Have no more than 50-100ish animals, at very most. Kill the rest. I usually keep only 1-2 types of animals, preferably valuable ones. Aggressive ones if at all possible to deal with any berserk dwarves. A herd of unicorns and a herd of cave crocodiles is great. If you mod unicorns to be aggressive animals so they will attack enemies rather than flee from them that is even better.

Using this methods I easily get 200ish FPS even with 200+ dwarves in a fortress.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2010, 03:28:21 pm »

Given that the caverns = water + creatures + stuff; cut down the amount of caverns.
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2010, 03:38:01 pm »

Use ramps instead of stairs.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2010, 04:01:59 pm »

Use ramps instead of stairs.

Actually, no.

Spiral ramps actually are much less efficient than a 2x2 block of up/down stairs. For moving only a level or two ramps are fine, but if you want to move up or down many levels ramps will murder your FPS.

Helmaroc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2010, 05:45:58 pm »

I know there are lots of init tweaks that can be made but the one that has consistently helped me out quite a bit is lowering G_FPS down from 50 to 10 or 15.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2010, 05:48:26 pm »

Forcing ramps into a square will kill your fps. Having a long series of 3x1 ramps and just side doors  won't make it take 5+ steps to go up one level.

I'm not sure of the strict difference in computer power for going up a ramp vs going up stairs though.

-

Walling off any long tunnels that don't go anywhere ought to speed it up. This makes the actual internal map of "connected shapes" more complicated but stops the individual dwarves wasting time deciding if that tunnel is a useful way to get anywhere.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

nekoexmachina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2010, 05:56:14 pm »

Using this methods I easily get 200ish FPS even with 200+ dwarves in a fortress.
What CPU/OS/how much mem do you have?
same tweaks here, but 100 fps at max with 80 dwarves, 2.8Ghz CPU & 2Gb mem
Whenever i read the "doesn't care about anything anymore" line, i instantly imagine a dwarf, sitting alone on a swing set. Just slowly rocking back and forth, somberly staring at the ground, and stopping every once in a while to sigh.
It's mildly depressing.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2010, 06:08:50 pm »

3.2ghz CPU, 6gb 1600mhz memory, Win7 64.

BurningLed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2010, 06:22:49 pm »

If you can use burrows, they're good for ensuring dwarves don't path halfway across the map to get a nice piece of wood exactly like the 50 in your home's stockpile.  Also, let's not forget:  Butcher cats when they start asploding.
IIRC, 'overkill' is not a concept that exists in the dwarven psyche.