Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Metalcrafting skill not working  (Read 553 times)

Fearless Son

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Metalcrafting skill not working
« on: September 08, 2010, 12:12:07 pm »

So, I have this nice fortress setup, built into the side of a volcanic island poking up throught an aquifer in the arctic ice shelf.  Has been enjoyable, challenging but rewarding.  Anyway, I have magma smelters and forges running full steam, cranking out copper, lead, and iron, making many metal objects.  However, one thing that I have found that I cannot do is items which require the metalcrafting skill.  This includes things like metal flasks (which is less important) or chains (which is more important.) 

I do not get why they can make anything else but not those.  I have all the necessary metal crafting skills, all the metal crafting and blacksmithing labors enabled, but still no results.  Anyone know why this might be? 

[EDIT]: I built a non-magma forge and queued up some lead chains.  Now they are forging those there, but for some reason they do not do so with the magma forges.  Is this a bug?  We ought to make a note of it in the wiki. 
« Last Edit: September 08, 2010, 12:26:07 pm by Fearless Son »

geoduck

• Bay Watcher
  • mollusk
    • View Profile
    • Geoduck's Page
Re: Metalcrafting skill not working
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2010, 12:28:49 pm »

What metal objects are you able to make? Are you saying that you can make other metal furniture, but not chains?
Geoduck's graphic set: simple and compact!

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2010, 12:38:36 pm »

I've made plenty of metal chains using magma forges in my current fortress.]

Are you able to make anything else at those magma forges? If not, make sure you haven't accidentally forbidden the workshop's building material.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2010, 12:49:17 pm »

Also check whether there's a profiling issue. I assume you've already checked that the magma forges and dwarves were both idle when you tried to get them to make chains from there.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Fearless Son

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2010, 01:56:09 pm »

My dwarves could make any non-metalcrafting objects.  I have been churning out dozens of metal bins and barrels from these things, along with some metal armor and weapons.  So blacksmithing, armorsmithing, and weaponsmithing all work.  Just not metalcrafting.  The forges themselves seem to be working fine for those tasks, nothing is forbidden, no forge is restricted to a single dwarf, and all forges have a minimum skill of novice and a max of legendary.  But for some reason metalcrafting only works for me in the non-magma forges. 

telarin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2010, 02:41:53 pm »

all forges have a minimum skill of novice and a max of legendary.

That may be your problem. See http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=1780

geoduck

• Bay Watcher
  • mollusk
    • View Profile
    • Geoduck's Page
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2010, 07:56:49 pm »

[[Comment removed, I tried to lead you astray.]]
« Last Edit: September 08, 2010, 07:59:07 pm by geoduck »
Geoduck's graphic set: simple and compact!