Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Corpse cloaks  (Read 1012 times)

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
Corpse cloaks
« on: December 03, 2007, 06:17:00 pm »

I ordered 13 Goblin corpses to be tossed down 3 levels deep shaft-later I go to reclaim their bones for crafts, and they all have unclaimed cloaks on! Ive also seen an iron shield appear in a locked tomb of a former recruit.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
Re: Corpse cloaks
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2007, 02:40:00 am »

So the items teleported down there?  Were the cloaks previously at the spots where the goblins died?
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Brooke

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2007, 03:29:00 am »

Just a guess here, but maybe when you dump corpses they get dumped clothed.  So, it would be the corpse, not clothing that is forbidden. After the body rots the clothing has no owner and becomes available.  I have no idea about the tomb thing.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2007, 03:39:00 pm »

They just appeared out of nowhere. Every piles of bones had a cloak next to it, which was also forbidden. My stocks show about 26 narrow cloaks-but only 13 Goblins have been killed in my fortress. If it happens again, i'll get a screenshot.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2007, 05:29:00 pm »

[img=http://img155.imageshack.us/img155/7303/dwarfortbugum9.th.jpg]

See? The items duplicated from nowhere.

[ December 05, 2007: Message edited by: Dwarmin ]

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2007, 06:14:00 pm »

How did they die originally?  I wonder if it's calling the kill item-drop code on the corpses when they land, as if it didn't properly handle the original inventories.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2007, 06:44:00 pm »

They mostly died by mace and crossbow bolt injuries inflicted by my soldiers. They did fly around a bit.

Adder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2007, 08:54:00 am »

It seem like the last item in the creature's inventory is staying on the corpse until it is buried or stockpiled. I noticed this when clearing goblin corpses after a siege. When place in my refuse stockpile, either a cloak or a bolt would appear. Until they were dumped, the item wasn't visible and showed up red in the stocks list. I think it also happens when dwarfs are buried - I've seen items on top of coffins, usually a shoe. I don't know whether or not the items are being duplicated, that's not something I checked.

The items didn't teleport as far as I know, they weren't visible on the ground until the corpse was stockpiled.

[ December 07, 2007: Message edited by: Adder ]