Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Invading Clowntopia  (Read 800 times)

candylord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Invading Clowntopia
« on: September 05, 2010, 01:22:20 am »

What would I need to defeat clowntopia?
As, in the logistics of it
right now I  have 100 dwarves 38 of which are legendary in their weapon, fighting, dodging, shield, and armor
I have about 10k food, and 1k booze, and I estimate that it would take a year, tops to train the other 60 or so of my dwarves to legendary in their respective weapons (danger room ftw)
I was planning on sending 30 gobbos, 4 trolls, 2 dragons + whatever other megabeasts I can find, and 60 odd wardogs in before my troops are sent in

now, my questions
1. Do you think 100 legendary dwarves can take Clowntopia?
2. What weapons should they have? Right now I have about 10 Spearmasters, 3 Mace lords, 11 Axe Lords, 6 Sword Masters, and 8 Hammerdwarves, who double as Marksdwarves
3. How many years worth of booze should I stock up
4. In the stocks menu, does 1 gauntlet mean 1 gauntlet, or 1 pair of gauntlets? Same question with high boots
Statistically, one in twenty of us live next door to a pedophile. Not me though, I live next door to a stunning pair of seven year olds

Keuran

• Bay Watcher
  • not made of spiders
    • View Profile
Re: Invading Clowntopia
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2010, 02:08:10 am »

1. probably
2. split about 50/25/25 axedwarves/marksdwarves/hammerdwarves (axes for dismembering natural demons, hammers for crushing stone demons). Make sure they're all legendary shield and armour users so you can have as much invincibility as possible before the demons start just choking your dwarves to death (Any dwarf will lose 1-on-1 melee combat with a demon every time because the demon can grab them by the throat for an instant knockout then strangle them at leisure).
3. See if you can get some civilian dwarves just producing it constantly, as you're going to burn through at least 1800 booze per year for soldiers alone. Same with food, but to a lesser extent (only 1000 per year in soldiers).
4. It means one gauntlet, as they're separate items, just produced two at a time. This is why a dwarf can wear a high boot on one foot and a low boot on the other.

candylord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2010, 02:17:23 am »

Damnit, that means I have half as many boots/gauntlets as I originally planned for
=/
looks like its time to start up some strip mining!
Statistically, one in twenty of us live next door to a pedophile. Not me though, I live next door to a stunning pair of seven year olds

Vibhor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2010, 05:53:59 am »

So what is clowtopia really?
Is it hidden fun stuff?

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2010, 06:06:13 am »

Yes, HFS-land. So OP, what is your victory condition? To beat the initial rush or to last for X time? I assume you are prepared for FPS death.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

candylord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2010, 04:15:10 am »

my victory condition would be to set up an outpost in clowntopia and eventually move my entire fortress down there
Assuming my dwarves survive the initial onslaught I plan to build up a series of walls to keep my dwarves safe and expand slowly =D
cause right now I have a fortress that is... pretty much unbreakable without meeting clowntopia in open battle
Also, would you recommend an pitched battle where I send all my squads in, or create a sort of maze with ditches and choke points and fortifications for marksdwarves (which I would have to train up :P)
Another thing, I don't want to use cave in traps, but would weapon traps do anything?
I know cage traps are ignored, but would is be possible to make like a 9001*3 length corridor lined with weapon traps?

tbh, I was planning to do the dwarven thing and just charge in blindly with all hundred of my boyz, but I'm willing to look @ other options if that fails

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
  • Pile the bodies, set them aflame.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2010, 04:19:01 am »

Create a hallway to clowntopia before releasing the clowns, rig it up with supports and wall it off

And then watch as the clowns cringe in pain as you release the crushing roof on them.For maximum dwarfyness rig up more than one crushing roof.

candylord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2010, 04:36:28 am »

I just said I don't want to use cave in traps =/

Eugenitor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2010, 04:50:20 am »

1. Open the can of Fun at the highest possible point.

2. Get the clowns flying up, then wall it in. (Note: Wall it in early, NOT LATE...)

3. Engrave as many fortifications into the sides of the tube as you can. Prepare for cancel spam.

4. Marksdwarves.

5. Tear down wall and repeat.

Congratulations! You have created your own personal clown killing zone.

mLegion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2010, 12:31:53 pm »

I used 3 parallel hallways with a 1-tile wide wall between them, center hallway leads to the HFS then make the walls of the center hallway into fortifications. I also had a obsidian encasement trap as a backup at the end of the hall. Dropped captured megabeasts into the front of their ranks.