Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Bleeding to death  (Read 3161 times)

Psychobones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bleeding to death
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2010, 10:02:29 am »

If you can (maybe with an earlier save), check the status of one of the dying / about to die units (v-z for pets, v-z-Enter for dwarves).  What does it say?  That could help narrow down the cause of death - if they've got rotten body parts according to that screen (which often don't show up on the Wounds screen), then it's probably a contaminant they've got on them.  If they've got melting layers/parts, then it's probably a heat issue of one kind or another (as has been discussed above).

And it still could be that titan.  While I haven't dealt with many titans in 31.x, they seem to largely use the same systems as the Forgotten Beasts, in which case the titan's blood, ichor, extract, or other goo could easily be the cause of issues.  Utterly bloodless, goo-less FBs and titans can happen, but are very rare in my experience - usually they just have goo that you don't notice the effects of, or they're harmless in the first place.  You mentioned it died by freezing in water, so there could've been ichor left along the titan's path through the water to get to that point, for example.

Way ahead of you. Earlier saves show nothing on the wounded screen, or the status screen, although one of the cats that dies later is missing a leg. Dunno how that one happened.

The titan thing really isn't possible. He fell into the brook on the other side of the map, and it froze 3 steps later. The only reason that the brook was channeled through there was for my own testing purposes. I've just come to the conclusion it has something to do with the magma I created in DF Liquids.

Gearheart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2010, 11:09:16 am »

dfliquid REALLY screws up temperature.

That's your problem.

tps12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2010, 12:05:05 pm »

Well, if it were only female cats, female dogs and female dwarven children,
we could assume some kind of menstruation problem ;)

Cats and dogs don't menstruate. In real life anyway, in the game anything's possible.

Psychobones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2010, 04:39:54 pm »

Well, if it were only female cats, female dogs and female dwarven children,
we could assume some kind of menstruation problem ;)

Cats and dogs don't menstruate. In real life anyway, in the game anything's possible.

As long as you don't spade them, yes they do.

Anything that gives live birth and has penetration for fertilization has to menstruate. Although human women have what's called a "true" menstruation cycle, dogs and cats still bleed, they just reabsorb it as opposed to shedding it like humans.

peterix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dethware
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2010, 06:04:28 am »

One thing: never, ever use dfliquids to remove magma. If you did that, you have invisible heat traps around.

tps12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2010, 10:04:44 am »

As long as you don't spade them, yes they do.

Male or female, anything will bleed if you spade it hard enough.

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2010, 11:17:45 am »

D:

Please, don't let a [MENSTRUATES] tag show up in the next version...
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2010, 01:20:27 pm »

-snip-
« Last Edit: May 04, 2015, 11:09:13 pm by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.
Pages: 1 [2]