Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Handful of newb questions  (Read 590 times)

bccowboy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Handful of newb questions
« on: September 07, 2010, 12:12:27 am »

Cows

Some immigrants came with calfs and there was a milker, so I build a farmer depot and told him to milk but he said nothing to milk. How do I get the calf to come down into the fortress? Or do I need to wait until it's a cow?

Caravan traders couldn't get to my fortress

I built a trade depot and it was apparently accessible, but when the caravan came they couldn't get near. Still they seemed to send an envoy. Does it matter if they can't get the wagon down near your trade depot? Should I have checked that the fortress was wagon accessible before embarking?

Opening up deep water

Can a miner get drowned if he opens up deep water and it comes out all around him?

JAFANZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Handful of newb questions
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2010, 01:22:44 am »

Cows

Some immigrants came with calfs and there was a milker, so I build a farmer depot and told him to milk but he said nothing to milk. How do I get the calf to come down into the fortress? Or do I need to wait until it's a cow?

I built a trade depot and it was apparently accessible, but when the caravan came they couldn't get near. Still they seemed to send an envoy. Does it matter if they can't get the wagon down near your trade depot? Should I have checked that the fortress was wagon accessible before embarking?

Opening up deep water

Can a miner get drowned if he opens up deep water and it comes out all around him?
Cows:
Pretty sure you need to wait for them grow up, also, verify they'll be Cows not Bulls. Meanwhile, Build a Cage or some restraints near the milking shed, & assign the cows to it/them (q-b-a I think), that way they won't be wandering all over the place, getting killed, or eating up FPS, & when your Milker goes to milk them, he won't have far to go to get them. I'm not sure the restraints will allow them to be milked, but hopefully it will as cages prevent breeding.

Taders:
Caravans do need to get their Wagon to your Trade Depot if they have one (I take it from this that you're playing 40d? as Caravan Wagons are bugged/non-exisitent in .31.12 AFAIK), & Wagon Accessibility isn't a site issue as a fortress issue (i.e. a wagon needs a 3 tile path from the map edge it spawns on to your depot, this means 3 tile wide halls, no stairwells, & make sure they don't get blocked by trees on the surface).

Water:
If water moves in the tile your miner is in, he can drown in it if the depth goes over 4/7 & he can't swim or get away, also note that water flooding in is probably "pressurised", meaning it will keep coming until it's new level is the same as the top level of the source, which can flood your fortress (& drown everybody).

bccowboy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2010, 01:53:25 am »

Thanks

Cows

LOL @ verify they'll be Cows not Bulls.

Yes, good point

Water

Well my Dwarf survived, he was opening up a wall with water on the other side with depth 7, however it was only three squares of it so I knew it wouldn't flood my cave, I just wanted some mud.

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2010, 02:49:47 am »

I'm not sure the restraints will allow them to be milked, but hopefully it will as cages prevent breeding.
It allows milking if chain is long enough to make cow to the workshop, but it doesn't prevent breeding.
Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

JAFANZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2010, 05:46:04 am »

I'm not sure the restraints will allow them to be milked, but hopefully it will as cages prevent breeding.
It allows milking if chain is long enough to make cow to the workshop, but it doesn't prevent breeding.
Cool, Thanks for the information. If I might ask for 1 little expansion thereof (I have yet to survive an embark long enough to acquire anything milkable):

does "Long enough to make cow to the workshop" mean the Cow has to be able to reach a tile adjacent to the workshop (i.e. restraint may have a  1-tile gap from workshop)? or does the Cow have to be reach a tile inside the workshop (i.e. the restraint being built in a tile adjacent to the workshop)?

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2010, 06:01:14 am »

To get inside, I guess. Anyway, I'm making room for chained cow as big as it covers the whole workshop. Here is my design for cheese industry:

Code: [Select]
############
#$$$$$$$$$$#
#$$$$$$$$$$#
#$$$$WWW$$$#
+$$$$WWW$$$#
#$$$$WWW$$$#
#$$$$$$$$$$#
#$$$$$$$$$$#
############
# - Wall
$ - chain, room of each chain covers the central workshop
W - workshop
Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

JAFANZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2010, 06:36:04 am »

Brilliant, especially useful since I was under the impression chains could only reach the tiles adjacent to the one they were built on (I learned what little I knew of them from the wiki's Security Design article section on putting spotters in your entrance hall to spot thieves & snatchers).

Thank you again! :D

Gnoll Fortress

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2010, 06:48:49 am »

Cows

Opening up deep water

Cows:
Pretty sure you need to wait for them grow up, also, verify they'll be Cows not Bulls. Meanwhile, Build a Cage or some restraints near the milking shed, & assign the cows to it/them (q-b-a I think), that way they won't be wandering all over the place, getting killed, or eating up FPS, & when your Milker goes to milk them, he won't have far to go to get them. I'm not sure the restraints will allow them to be milked, but hopefully it will as cages prevent breeding.

Taders:
Caravans do need to get their Wagon to your Trade Depot if they have one (I take it from this that you're playing 40d? as Caravan Wagons are bugged/non-exisitent in .31.12 AFAIK), & Wagon Accessibility isn't a site issue as a fortress issue (i.e. a wagon needs a 3 tile path from the map edge it spawns on to your depot, this means 3 tile wide halls, no stairwells, & make sure they don't get blocked by trees on the surface).

If he is playing .40d then he can't milk cows at all.