Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: tremble before THE STANCE OF THE WORM  (Read 824 times)

blainemono

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
tremble before THE STANCE OF THE WORM
« on: September 06, 2010, 03:51:17 pm »

Basically, every combat situation in my fortress ends with a combat log spam of "Urist McAxemurderer stands up". For EVERY participant. Since most of those situations consist of zombie moles getting sliced neatly in half, I am beginning to wonder - what makes them fall in the first place? Is it a highly sophisticated combat stance or are my dwarves just too lazy/bored to fight properly?

Aramco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: tremble before THE STANCE OF THE WORM
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2010, 03:52:11 pm »

Basically, every combat situation in my fortress ends with a combat log spam of "Urist McAxemurderer stands up". For EVERY participant. Since most of those situations consist of zombie moles getting sliced neatly in half, I am beginning to wonder - what makes them fall in the first place? Is it a highly sophisticated combat stance or are my dwarves just too lazy/bored to fight properly?

Collapsing in pain, falling unconscious, etc.
Or maybe there's a god who's just completely insane and sends you to Detroit, Michigan in a new body if you ever utter the name "Pat Sajak".

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2010, 03:57:00 pm »

Even if nobody's getting hurt, combat is usually comprised of the participants charging and counter-charging each other whenever they're both standing up. A successful charge will often knock the defender down (well, so long as said defender isn't much bigger than the attacker). Then you've got the way that animals that can wrestle tend to do so in a pretty ineffective manner (repeatedly grabbing and ungrabbing the same body part, grabbing and throwing then letting go, etc.).

blainemono

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2010, 03:58:29 pm »

Nothing like that in the combat logs. Just my axedwarves hacking off some limbs, then standing up repeatedly. I thought it was miasma at first, but then killed a bunch of zombies with no stinky - same thing.

Proteus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2010, 04:14:02 pm »

I agree, I also observed it occasionally, when I reviewed combat reports of my military dwarves fighting against the remnants of a goblin invasion.
No report of the military dwarf getting struck by the goblin and falling down (well, often they fight goblins who are fleeing and already half dead from some encounters with my traps, often with missing limbs, so usually they arenīt even in the condition to fight back)
nevertheless after he deadly attack on the enemy goblin there would sometimes be a line with "Dwarf xyz stand up".

Well, I interpret it as the military dwarf puting so much force behind the deadly blow, that he loses his balance ;)

Khift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2010, 05:14:08 pm »

All the above would make sense if the combatants in question are all melee. However, why my marksdwarves constantly stand up in fights that consist of them sniping enemies from behind fortifications... an explanation for that eludes me entirely.

ledgekindred

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh Boy, Microcline
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2010, 05:28:40 pm »

You have a fort full of the famed "Fainting Dwarves." 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=we9_CdNPuJg
I don't understand, though that is about right with anything DF related.
I just hope he dies the same death that all dwarfs deserve: liver disease.
The legend of Reg: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=65866.0
Atir Stigildegel, Legless Hero of Diamondrelic: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=83136.0

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2010, 08:31:58 pm »

From my observations -

If you watch fights using . to advance a step at a time while paused, you'll see that whenever more than one living non-vermin occupies the same tile, only one of them can remain standing.  Which one gets to keep standing while the other (or all the others, if you crowd 30 critters into a 1 space pit, 29 are prone) must lie doesn't seem predictable to me.  You don't get a combat message when dwarves lie down because of this reason, and dwarves don't appear to mind 'stepping on each others toes'... there seems to be some code checks for trying to share a tile with an enemy, but friendlies just do it whenever they happen to cross paths.

Combined with the combat code making 'stand up' give a message in combat, you'll see a bunch of unexplained combat log of 'Urist stands up', often much of it after the fight's ended while the dwarves finish reacting to the excitement and figure out what to do next.  Group hug, perhaps.

I suspect the archers are sharing tiles occasionally behind the fortifications, depending on the field of view and such.  I tend not to use archers, so I've not watched that part for myself.
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

Proteus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2010, 01:08:35 am »

Interesting possibility, as the "only one standing creature per tile" is usually used by toady to enable movement on narrow passages
(dwarves moving in 2 directions in a 1 tile wide hall pass each other by one dropping to ground, while the one standing climbs above the other one).
So it would sort of make sense, if it isnīt switched off during DF combat
Must observe it more closely the next time my dwarves fight in an invasion