Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A horrible thing!  (Read 458 times)

Zidane

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist Mc Fracture has been struck down by Horse!!
    • View Profile
A horrible thing!
« on: September 07, 2010, 12:05:20 am »

I can't seem to find ANY iron, silver, or copper on my map, only GOLD, and more GOLD.

It's been several years and I only hit one very small deposit of magnetite, and I've been trading for what little I need but my production is slowing to a halt.

what do?
Give cats natural metallic armor and throw them in your danger room.  Also allow their mouth and tail to grasp (shield in mouth, weapon in tail xD)  Have a cat based military.  You know, do the same with all tame animals xD send in the cats as shock troops to disrupt the archers

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A horrible thing!
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2010, 12:44:53 am »

Well, there's always exploratory mining.  However, DF Prospector might be more useful if you just want to find out if there are any significant amounts of those ores on your map...it can be a bit of a spoiler, but compared to wasting time and effort looking for minerals if they're not there, it might be worth it.

What type of stone makes up the layers of your site?
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.

Zidane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2010, 12:54:32 am »

Flint and diorite.
Give cats natural metallic armor and throw them in your danger room.  Also allow their mouth and tail to grasp (shield in mouth, weapon in tail xD)  Have a cat based military.  You know, do the same with all tame animals xD send in the cats as shock troops to disrupt the archers

Proteus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2010, 01:16:11 am »

Flintstone is sedimentary while diorite is igneous intrusive.
Meaning that there is no chance of finding iron while digging through your z-levels that contain diorite (only more gold).
Only in those z-levels which contain flintstone.

Zidane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2010, 01:54:19 am »

I found a tiny vien of copper! Now I can give my immigrants something to dig with!

petersohn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2010, 02:06:43 am »

You should find tetrahedrite in the diorite, which can be smelted for copper if you don't have a better material for weapons. However, flint should contain iron. In DF2010, there are usually tons of iron in every sedimentary layer.