Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Best Boardgames  (Read 3408 times)

jnecros

• Bay Watcher
  • Black dog runs at night
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
Re: Best Boardgames
« Reply #45 on: September 09, 2010, 12:16:34 pm »

Alright, becuase of this thread I am going to buy Arkham Horror, and I am thinking about getting one expansion. Seeing how the expansions are just as pricey as the standard, and they are have just about equally good reviews on Amazon. What one do you guys think is the right one to get first? Keep in mind Only my wife and I will be playing becuase I am a closet nerd.
Half beard
half belly
all dwarf

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 09, 2010, 02:37:05 pm »

Alright, becuase of this thread I am going to buy Arkham Horror, and I am thinking about getting one expansion. Seeing how the expansions are just as pricey as the standard, and they are have just about equally good reviews on Amazon. What one do you guys think is the right one to get first? Keep in mind Only my wife and I will be playing becuase I am a closet nerd.

It sounds like you'll be playing solo a lot, so I'd go for whichever expansion has the most cards. You may want to go to BGG to find out which is best for that.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 09, 2010, 02:50:21 pm »

I would recommend NOT BUYING ANY ARKHAM HORROR EXPANSIONS TO START.

Reason being is, we've basically figured they only make the game harder to win. They add some stuff that increases investigator power, but by and large they are intended to waste your time and give the Elder thing more time to come out.

Ex: No portal open in Kingsport. Ever. I.e., as far as the main game objective goes, Kingsport is a giant distraction from preventing DOOM. And while portals open in Dunwich, you get PENALIZED for choosing not close those portals versus ones that open in Arkham proper.

King in Yellow? Fun, if you like having your allies get murdered at rate of 1 a turn.

I say all this knowing what "fun" means to people here at B12. But for smaller player games, like 2 or 3 people, expansions in AH are generally a bad idea. I think they're intended to support games of 4 or more players, so everyone has something to do. Using all the expansions with just two people sounds like  short trip to the end of the world.

That said, if you're going to get any of the expacs, start with the Dark Pharoah or something you can get online.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

pilgrimboy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 09, 2010, 06:20:03 pm »

Descent
Betrayal at House on the Hill
Settlers of Catan (it never seems to get old)
Regular writer at a totally non-related Christian blog, Pulling Weeds Out Of Potholes

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 09, 2010, 06:31:27 pm »

Settlers of Catan (it never seems to get old)

Tolerable if you use a deck of cards instead of dice.

jnecros

• Bay Watcher
  • Black dog runs at night
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 09, 2010, 10:03:30 pm »

I would recommend NOT BUYING ANY ARKHAM HORROR EXPANSIONS TO START.

Nice, I'll give that a shot. Thanks
Half beard
half belly
all dwarf

niltrias

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gaijinninjas.com
« Reply #51 on: September 09, 2010, 11:54:46 pm »

I like quite a few of the games already mentioned.  Lemme just add:

Supremacy
Attack!
Runebound

All of these are pretty cool games by themselves, but when you add in the expansions they become piles of awesome.
Gero! Gero! Bwahahahaha!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]