Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Making bones out of stone?  (Read 824 times)

Jordan~

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Making bones out of stone?
« on: September 03, 2010, 02:31:18 am »

I'm wondering if it's possible to make a custom reaction that would produce bones from stone, wood, or some other material. The bones would have to be recognised as bones for the purposes of artifact making. It would be neat if they took the same material as the reagent, too, so that gabbro would produce gabbro bones, etc. Is it doable? What would the product tag look like? Thanks!

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Expanding your universe.
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
Re: Making bones out of stone?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2010, 01:57:10 pm »

As far as I know... no. I haven't messed with .10-.12, so I'm not sure 100%.
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!

Eagle_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2010, 03:48:01 pm »

nope. a creature can have stone bones, but you can't convert bones to another material.

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2010, 04:12:28 pm »

heh, that's weird, i thought you could...
would a possible reaction making fat into axes, using the reagent to make axes out of fat be related?
How about turning wood into a stone object to be used as such & vise versa, while retaining item properties such as shear, edge, etc.?
« Last Edit: September 03, 2010, 04:22:59 pm by iceball3 »

Jordan~

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2010, 04:53:06 pm »

nope. a creature can have stone bones, but you can't convert bones to another material.

You can't convert bones to another material, but how about the other way around? Alternatively, would it be possible to make the game recognise some other product as bone by adding a tag either to its item definition or its material definition that defined it so?

Keuran

• Bay Watcher
  • not made of spiders
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2010, 08:03:41 pm »

It isn't a problem with materials, it's just that reactions and bones don't work together right now. You can make a log out of stone or beds out of lard, but you can't make bones out of anything, including bone.

dragonshardz

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PONY:ACCEPTABLE]
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2010, 09:18:27 am »

Not so, not so. The guys in Battlefailed have kludged together a way to make bone blocks.

It involves editing reactions, though.

Urist Mcinternetuser

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthulhu, the scariest Forgotten Beast of all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2010, 01:50:20 pm »

The best way would be to generate an animal corpse (butcherable), and then butcher it.