Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Civillian dwarf mandates (or on demand production)  (Read 590 times)

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
Civillian dwarf mandates (or on demand production)
« on: September 06, 2010, 09:57:33 am »

Related to eternal suggestions 107, 195 and 255.

I'd like to suggest having ordinary dwarves log their desires/needs in a mandate-like system.
Coupled to an automate toggle, that allows the manager to enter these into the jobmanager interface or directly to craftsdwarves/shops.
(Want for automation depends on personal playstyle.)

It annoys me that dwarves don't reliably dress themselves and that I need to riffle through the refuse pile manually (which contains manually dumpdesignated dumped clothes) or the inventory screens of every individual dwarf, to know how many new socks I need to produce for instance.

Examples:

A list of requests to the manager/mayor:
*Urist Bottombreaches would like a golden cabinet.
*Dol Groundfortresses requests production of a new cloth dress. (preferably in midnight blue, with spikes of iron!)
*Bomrek Lickedsalt has, 3 times by now, requested a leather cap.

Possibly a summary page would be more usable, as this sort of requests could run into entire wardrobes for half the dwarves in your fort.
eg. 5 cloth headware, 3 leather caps, 10 helmets of any material, 5 high boots, 6 dresses, 3 trousers, 8 leggings, 5 metal greaves, etc.

Request to manager could be extended towards wants for rooms and foodtypes. Good for flavour, bad for usability.
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Aramco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Civillian dwarf mandates (or on demand production)
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2010, 03:35:45 pm »

The only problem with that I see is that it is basically giving mandates to all the dwarves, and mandates usually lead to unfortunate accidents...

You see where this is going.
Or maybe there's a god who's just completely insane and sends you to Detroit, Michigan in a new body if you ever utter the name "Pat Sajak".

Shadowclaimer

• Bay Watcher
  • Looks like cat for dinner.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2010, 04:03:52 pm »

A general needs page would be nice period, throw it on the Z screen next to stocks and stuff.
Advanced Civilizations (0.40.X+)

Former creator of Metallurgy, Atum, Aquaculture, and Agriculture for Minecraft and Toxic Worlds for Starbound.

NightmareBros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2010, 04:24:29 pm »

mandates usually lead to unfortunate accidents
That's only because those are noble mandates. Civilians usually do not have a hammerer on their leash to go and dispense death due to not getting a Slade window or something.
It would probably cause an unhappy thought if the dwarf's possibly easy request went ignored, though.

thijser

• Bay Watcher
  • You to cut down a tree in order to make an axe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2010, 12:25:33 am »

I think this is a good idea however dwarfs shouldn't care about the material used. Those are really the problamatic demands from noble instead they may ask for a prefered material but if that's not avaible then they will do with every material (trough this will make them less happy but still it's a postive thought).
Maybe add a new option to the manager that says that if a dwarf demands something it would imidetly start beeing produced.
I'm not a native English speaker. Feel free to point out grammar/spelling mistakes. This way I can learn better English.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2010, 05:06:54 am »

I think this is a good idea however dwarfs shouldn't care about the material used. Those are really the problamatic demands from noble instead they may ask for a prefered material but if that's not avaible then they will do with every material (trough this will make them less happy but still it's a postive thought).
I agree, the material specifications should use the same grouping as the military equipment screen (leather armour == bone, leather, shell items) and for other items that might be requested, but that are not equipment, like furniture etc, similar broad types like which can be requested in jobmanager. (a stone coffer may be requested, but not specifically a diorite one.) I'm not 100% sure on the feasability of requests for rooms and/or furniture etc though.

Maybe add a new option to the manager that says that if a dwarf demands something it would imidetly start beeing produced.
That would be the automation option I suggested. :) Not everyone would want to lose so much control of production, certainly when a resource is scarce.

Automation adds another reservation for furniture demands; these could lead to repeating production orders as most likely the 'mandate' would only be fulfilled when the item is built in the dwarf's room. I'd say, only things that a dwarf could buy in a shoppe can be requested. Other demands, those similar to noble room demands should remain a player-dwarfthoughts interaction.

My images bucket for WIPs and such: link