Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: FPS...  (Read 1987 times)

Captain Goatse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
FPS...
« on: March 26, 2007, 05:47:00 pm »

So, people, my computer runs Oblivion at max setting without a glitch. But it has not enough brainpower to run DF... At 60 dwarves is slows to a crawl. Ass!

Slartibartfast

• Bay Watcher
  • Menaces with spikes of Tin
    • View Profile
Re: FPS...
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2007, 04:29:00 am »

That's because Oblivion needs a powerful GPU more than anything, and DF needs a powerful CPU more than anything.

If it helps, I can run oblivion perfectly as well  :)

But what do I know?
Everything I say should be taken with atleast 1 tsp. of salt, and another liter of Dwarven Wine is recommended.

"I thought it was the size of the others!" said Vanon. "I guess it was just standing further away!"

Jaqie Fox

• Bay Watcher
  • Genuine Girl Techie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2007, 04:53:00 am »

Nice way to complain about something free with free support.

Captain Goatse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2007, 06:10:00 am »

Ooops, sorry for being rude. I loved the game, and I am going to send my "appreciation" as soon as my Paypal comes online. I was just complaining about being forced to forget it, I just cannot play at 15 FPS (before economy)

Jaqie Fox

• Bay Watcher
  • Genuine Girl Techie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2007, 08:07:00 am »

I have never seen it get that low on my machine, not even when releasing lava flows across the wilderness when having 150 tame animals and over 100 dwarves wandering around inside trying to path outside.

What are you running? FYI this is what I run:
Athlon 64 x2 3800+ (2Ghz per core, DF only uses one core)
nforce4 non ultra mobo chipset (good fast chipset, dual channel DDR @PC3200)
1.5GB DDR in dual channel mode
geforce 6600 256MB PCIe (yes a plain 6600)
Windows xp x64 edition

The most important things for speed for DF as far as I can tell are these factors (in order)

1. CPU speed (not Mhz, processing power. A netburst based celeron for ex would do horrid compared to an athlon64 core)
2. CPU <-> RAM bandwidth (type of ram, memory controller, speed of ram, and data bus width to ram)
3. fast OpenGL execution and Windows XP OS (DF IIRC was designed to run fastest on XP 32bit)

RPB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://rapidshare.com/files/70864746/scardagger_winter_1059.zip.html
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2007, 11:30:00 am »

Did you try going into init.txt and turning weather and temperature off? I was down to about 15 FPS and turning them off got it back up to 40.

If you're down to 15 FPS at 60 dwarves your computer will probably never be able to handle a huge number of dwarves but you should be able to get 100+ without it getting too ridiculously slow.

Carlos Gustavos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2007, 02:42:00 pm »

I had 4-8 FPS in my last fortress when I had around 100 dwarves.

Jaqie Fox

• Bay Watcher
  • Genuine Girl Techie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2007, 09:21:00 pm »

As an addendum to my previous post...

Just so you know, you can get an athlon 64 motherboard and CPU combo for ~$100 right now at newegg... that would run DF quite well, and isn't a lot of cash.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductCombos.aspx?Item=N82E16819103023&SubCategory=343&SortField=0&PageSize=10&page=1

(scroll down to third combo. I realize it needs an HSF and DDR...)

Don't worry though, I do know how it is difficult to afford stuff. Hell, I am on disability and get $650 a month to live on... that's not much to pay rent, utilities, food, medicine (disability won't pay for most of my meds), etc etc with.

ricemastah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2007, 09:54:00 pm »

I've got like 150 dwarves with temp off and I'm getting around 35-52 fps. I've got a 1.6 GHz processor and 2G of DDR ram... anyone have any other fps saving tips? I'm not sure if turning off weather would save that much.