Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cloths everywhere meh  (Read 497 times)

Jayce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Cloths everywhere meh
« on: September 04, 2010, 06:34:19 am »

If i make new clothes for my dwarfs will they dump the rags they have scattered all over the place?.

Absentia

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break
    • View Profile
Re: Cloths everywhere meh
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2010, 07:05:19 am »

If they don't have somewhere else to put them, yes.

If they do have a cabinet assigned to them (i.e. in their bedroom) they will usually put their old clothes in there. But sometimes they don't for no apparent reason, and other dwarfs won't touch anything that belongs to someone else. Whether this is more annoying than your dwarfs running around naked is up to you.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2010, 07:08:57 am »

Sorry to piggy back on this thread but do champ dwarfs still no longer put away their clothes?
Made me rage at my wrestlers back in 40d so much.

Absentia

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2010, 07:11:32 am »

My experience is that military dwarfs in general don't like to put away their clothes. I guess if it really bothers you you could give your barracks a magma rinse every so often.

Valkyrie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2010, 09:47:28 am »

For me, military dwarves don't like to put away their cloths, but it's *nothing* like the kind of problem it was in 40d.  In 31.x, the military dwarves' cloth-scattering habits are much closer to that of a civilian dwarf, aside from generating a few more objects (depending on how the military garb you have for them interacts with their civilian cloths).  Especially once they reach the 'disable all Labors any time you blink' stage, and assuming they've got plenty of off-duty tiime, the military dwarves seem about as timely at putting clothing away as the rest of my forts.  (earlier, while they still keep their civilian duties active, they don't tend to put cloths away much, since they have very little down-time: usually their either doing civilian jobs or individual training anytime they're not on active duty, leaving little opportunity for low-priority cloths pickup)

As far as making new cloths to replace the old rags, it would be important to note that non-uniform equipment won't actually get equipped.  The dwarves may claim the new stuff, but they won't actually put it on - they'll keep a cabinet full of cloths while they run around naked, etc.  The only way I've found to get the civilians to put on new clothing (after the old stuff has rotted away, or whatnot) is to draft them into their own military squads, assign them the 'civilian'-esque clothing I want them to wear, and simply never assigning them a training space (ie no barracks, armor rack, etc).  You might need to station them somewhere once to get them to go pickup all their equipment, but overall, it's worked successfully for me, albeit a bit annoying to setup (initially) and with the new danger of accidentally  sending out your squadron of legendary forgeworkers when you meant to send out your swordsdwarves ><.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2010, 09:49:27 am by Valkyrie »

Ze Spy

• Bay Watcher
  • I was your beginning - so shall I be...your end.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2010, 09:50:51 am »

OP , You Call that a Major Problem?

Try 40D , Them Dwarves Throw their Shit All over the Place Like as if it was a Trash Can , Send the Cleanup Crew to Deal with the Problem you have

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2010, 10:54:03 pm »

Cabinets?!  And here I had gone through all the trouble of providing all of my dwarves with their very own chests/coffers/bags/boxes  and they still scattered their stuff everywhere!

I guess It's time to hit the forges and make everybody some nice electrum cabinets. (native gold + tetrahedrite = win!)
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
whose feet tracked blighted soot.
And into every face he saw
his sooty foot he put."

Valkyrie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2010, 12:51:06 am »

Chests/coffers/bags are mostly used post-economy, when dwarves start claiming 'items' (craft goods, etc).  Before the economy kicks in, I'm blanking on anything that a dwarf stores in them, aside from Noble must-have-x-chests requirements (and non-bedroom-related uses, like Hospitals).