Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Suggestion/Bug report: Make DF Hibernate-safe  (Read 846 times)

Lord Nightmare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Suggestion/Bug report: Make DF Hibernate-safe
« on: October 11, 2007, 12:18:00 am »

As it stands, hibernating the computer while DF is running usually causes the graphics drivers to bluescreen the system due to it having an open opengl rendering pipe or whatever its called (I'm really not sure of the terminology  and what precisely else is going on here, to be honest). I know that windows issues some sort of 'signal' to all running processes when the system is about to hibernate, so they can clean up stuff like that. When that signal is recieved, the game should pause itself, shut down/clean up the opengl stream, and just wait until it recieves a redraw signal when the system starts up again. or until someone clicks on the window or presses a key, since thats a lot easier to detect. at that point, it would reinitialize opengl to start rendering again.
This SHOULD prevent the crash when hibernating.

(The crash mostly affects people with laptops which hibernate when shut, like me.)

LN

"When life gives you zombies... *CHA-CHIK!* ...you make zombie-ade!"

Mookie Love

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Suggestion/Bug report: Make DF Hibernate-safe
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2007, 05:14:00 am »

Oh, that's maybe what happened, then.

One time we left DF running on a friend's laptop to hibernate, and their computer-stupid sister claimed the game had 'broke' the laptop and she had to restart it, and that I was a horrible, bad person for downloading a virus. I had just rolled my eyes at her, assuming that she had simply been too stupid or lazy to figure out the buttons to exit and/or take it out of full-screen.