Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: on scale, and its uses.  (Read 567 times)

zooeyglass

• Bay Watcher
  • Melbil that!
    • View Profile
on scale, and its uses.
« on: September 03, 2010, 05:33:38 pm »

hi y'all,

while since i've posted, figured i'd wrap my head around the new releases and explore that before posting anything.

crundle scale is raising a few queries. a preliminary search here, and then on the wiki, provides the same answer: scale is treated exactly like any other skin and will be tanned at a tannery. however, i am not seeing that happen in my fortress (03.12). So... am I misreading something? Am I missing an obvious notification about how scale is bugging out? Please let me know.

Thank you kindly,
F

EDIT: on reflection, the wiki says: "except that scale cannot be used for leather goods" - does this mean non-tanning? ie dump the scale before it overloads one's refuse heap?
« Last Edit: September 03, 2010, 05:36:04 pm by zooeyglass »

It is a total pain in the butt, but you gotta do what you gotta do if you want that upright candy weapon.
Your suspicions are nothing more than superstition

Valkyrie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: on scale, and its uses.
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2010, 12:38:07 am »

As far as I know, scale doesn't have any use (in vanilla), and so it a waste product from butchering, like hair and cartilage.  So aye, disposing of it (smash, magma, etc) would be the way to go.

zooeyglass

• Bay Watcher
  • Melbil that!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2010, 06:37:10 am »

Cool, thank you, twas as I expected. I got excited it might have use after two creatures of the deep showed up and left me a whole bucket of scale (and 20 hearts between them! yay!)... but oh well. Ta all the same.

It is a total pain in the butt, but you gotta do what you gotta do if you want that upright candy weapon.
Your suspicions are nothing more than superstition

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2010, 08:51:10 am »

If you edit the material_template_default file in your raws folder and add the [SHELL] tag to the [MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:SCALE_TEMPLATE] entry, you can use scale as shell for decoration, armor, and strange moods.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.