Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Problem with custom stockpiling.  (Read 649 times)

Juason

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Problem with custom stockpiling.
« on: October 06, 2007, 12:22:00 am »

Howdy all.  I've been having some issues getting custom stockpiles to work.  Initially I had a stockpile for all weapons, armor and ammo.  Later in the game I decided to designate new stockpiles for weapons, armor and ammo that only contained bronze, iron and steel (leaving the copper for training and trading).  I turned off those materials on the other stockpiles, and waited years for them the items in the other stockpile to get moved - they never did.

Furthermore, bronze, iron and steel items were still being placed in the old stockpile that did not carry those designations.  This obviously makes it very difficult to specialize and allow dwarves to switch into better armor over time.  

I'm not sure if anyone else has had this problem before or if there is something I am missing.  Thanks for checking it out.

Pacho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Problem with custom stockpiling.
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2007, 01:32:00 am »

Make sure that the new stockpiles have the local/foreign tags turned on.  Also, if the items are in bins it is unlikely that they will get moved for a while (at least in my experience).  It would be faster if you get some dwarf to get the items out of the bin by equipping them for a moment and then taking them off.

Be absolutely sure that the materials you don't want in a stockpile are off, and that the kinds of items you do want to store are on.

Fedor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2007, 04:52:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Juason:
<STRONG>Howdy all.  I've been having some issues getting custom stockpiles to work.  Initially I had a stockpile for all weapons, armor and ammo.  Later in the game I decided to designate new stockpiles for weapons, armor and ammo that only contained bronze, iron and steel (leaving the copper for training and trading).  I turned off those materials on the other stockpiles, and waited years for them the items in the other stockpile to get moved - they never did.</STRONG>
The answer to this is simple:  Dwarves will not tidy up a stockpile automatically.  In fact, the game (generally, but see below) ignores items already in stockpiles when tasking haulage jobs.  The solution, after setting enough dwarves to "Item Hauling", is to either:
* Undesignate the old stockpile, create new stockpiles in other locations each with appropriate settings, and watch your dwarves sort the stuff.  This is generally the better solution.
* Keep the old stockpile, but deselect the object classes you want removed.  Have one new custom stockpile at a time take from it.  This is useful to winnow out a particular category of objects.

I recently used both methods.  I had an old steel armor stockpile that was getting cluttered with dropped ironmongery and wasn't in a locked room (so dwarves kept wandering off and putting on their old "(iron leggings)").  I put 50 dwarves on item hauling, removed the stockpile, and set a new steel armor stockpile.  Later, I realized that it was also accepting bronzewear.  I sorted it again by removing bronze from the allowable material types, creating a bronze armor stockpile, and having it take from the new steel stockpile.

There is still some weirdness with stockpiles.  I suspect a small bug in material types for either the armor or weapon stockpiles but it's hard to track down.  The essential difficulty is that you have to get a number of things right to convince your dwarves to sort stuff properly.  Otherwise, they just look at you and go "huh?".

Fedor Andreev is a citizen of the Federated Endeavor. He is a member of the Wandering Minds.

Seryntas

• Bay Watcher
  • has created a masterpiece!
    • View Profile
    • RPGWW Forums
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2007, 01:39:00 am »

You might try setting the new stockpile with the option to take from another stockpile (specifically the old one).  As long as the new one has the types you want enabled, it should work.
"Nectar and ambrosia are all the gods are allowed to eat in Greek mythology. In that way they're kind of like pandas. You know, in diet. From there the similarities break down." -my Greek Lit TA