Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Body in well  (Read 776 times)

sebs

• Bay Watcher
  • Nun sind unser zwey.
    • View Profile
Body in well
« on: September 04, 2010, 05:15:25 am »

Hi!

I had a little accident during well construction, some dwarves drowned because I had forgotten to close a floodgate. Now there is a body at the bottom of the well, and is inaccessible.

Will dwarfs notice the body when drinking, and will it rot eventually? it's 2 z-layers away in the water reservoir.

Also, the lever for that floodgate is outside the fortress and accessible to anyone. Will goblins know that they can destroy my entire fortress with one pull?
« Last Edit: September 04, 2010, 05:24:09 am by sebs »

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
Re: Body in well
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2010, 05:22:54 am »

My guess is that miasma will rise out of the well and spread to the room the well is in. You will be unable to reach his belongings until you can reach the body, so you should hit d > f to designate every item in the square to be forbidden. Dwarves will still drink the water if injured or if they are out of booze.
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2010, 06:08:42 am »

What's that Lassy?  Urist fell in the well!!!
(sorry, had to do it)
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
whose feet tracked blighted soot.
And into every face he saw
his sooty foot he put."

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2010, 06:30:36 am »

Also, the lever for that floodgate is outside the fortress and accessible to anyone. Will goblins know that they can destroy my entire fortress with one pull?

Might be a bit risky, yeah.

zooeyglass

• Bay Watcher
  • Melbil that!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2010, 06:52:35 am »

Coupla things:

- there's gonna be unhappiness that the dwarf isn't properly buried. Check their relationships to see if they had close friends/family - they'll be particularly upset, I believe ("forced to endure the decay of a friend" / "lost a friend to tragedy").

- your dwarves shouldn't really be drinking from a well - are you running short on booze?

- check the wiki on water & contaminants. I have never seen miasma appear in water (the space is all filled) but maybe worth looking out for. Not sure if a water source can get polluted - other people's thoughts/experiences please!

It is a total pain in the butt, but you gotta do what you gotta do if you want that upright candy weapon.
Your suspicions are nothing more than superstition

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2010, 07:51:19 am »

I can tell you for certain that miasma does appear in water, even in a sealed 7/7 deep area.

Burnt Pies

• Bay Watcher
  • Captain Brunch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2010, 08:46:12 am »

Yeah, I've had enough Babies fall down wells to know Miasma's a certainty. On the other hand, I think the dwarves were quite happy to keep drinking out of it, at least in 40d.
I can read box now
Also, I am a bit drunk
Refrigerator

Ze Spy

• Bay Watcher
  • I was your beginning - so shall I be...your end.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2010, 09:37:14 am »

Dwarves Will Ignore Bodies Dumped Below them , But Miasma Doesn't Obey the Z-Level rules , they'll just Occupy Every single z-Level they can get their hands on

And No , Every Outsider is too Damned Stupid to even Pull a Lever , so it doesn't Matter if you place a "Selfdestruct-o-matic-4000" lever outside the Fortress

Vibhor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2010, 10:54:30 am »

Gremlin can trigger various stuff
I once got sieged and didnt knew they actually had gremlins
They went into a room and pulled the lever I placed for flooding nobles
And lo,half of them drowned to death
and to self destruct mechanism
Just use a simple door
it blocks all of the likwids

geoduck

• Bay Watcher
  • mollusk
    • View Profile
    • Geoduck's Page
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2010, 02:12:26 pm »

Note that helps cut down on well-drownings: put the well all by itself in a dead-end room behind at least one door.
Geoduck's graphic set: simple and compact!

sebs

• Bay Watcher
  • Nun sind unser zwey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2010, 05:11:07 am »

Thanks for the help! The dwarves didn't notice the body, only its miasma which rose into the well room indeed. When this was over, they just admired the fine well.

The fortress is history now because I dug too greedily and too deep and awoke some beast of shadow and slime.