Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Remove logs & others from 'Construction' choices?  (Read 828 times)

omglazers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Remove logs & others from 'Construction' choices?
« on: August 31, 2010, 08:30:07 pm »

I'm honestly utterly sick and tired of having to scroll through five pages to find 'dolomite' or 'gneiss' due to the presence of things like 'tin bar' and 'fifty billion types of wood!'

I don't ever want to build shit out of bars OR wood, and you're making me cry here!

99% of my time in DF is wasted right now finding the exact material I want due to the fact that since I am building a 4x4 totally above ground fort, every single construction must be a scrolling nightmare.

I will award one hug and internet to anyone who can help me figure out a way to remove anything but blocks and stones from construction options if it is possible so I do not shoot myself in the head out of frustration.

With love,

The guy with a guy in his mouth

P.S. Stuff like this makes me wish Toady would just let the guy who did Goblin Camp or whatever help him out with the UI like Baughn. This stuff is bananas!

nbonaparte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Remove logs & others from 'Construction' choices?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2010, 09:07:45 pm »

right now, you can just forbid everything you don't want. Or, of course, you can make it so there's only 1 tree type.
A service to the forum: clowns=demons, cotton candy=adamantine, clown car=adamantine tube, circus=hell, circus tent=demonic fortress.

omglazers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2010, 09:10:03 pm »

right now, you can just forbid everything you don't want. Or, of course, you can make it so there's only 1 tree type.

But for bars, this is impossible. Having a working metal industry with them all forbidden would be murder.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2010, 09:20:00 pm »

I know it sorts the construction materials by (direct line) distance from the construction site.  While it is a minor hassle to set up and tear down/move the stockpiles as construction progresses, have you considered making relatively small stone (block) stockpiles limited to the flavor you want to build with right next to the section(s) you are currently building?  This would put the material you want to use at the top of the list.  I've noticed that if you go into the section for configuring the custom stockpile (p->c->t) and set it for what you want, then use that config, that becomes the new default for custom stockpiles.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

omglazers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2010, 09:48:11 pm »

Im amazed to find this isn't something you can change in the raws. I would think 'construction' is just like a 'building' in the raws!

mLegion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2010, 10:08:01 pm »

What we need is for DF to put the last used material at the top of lists.

omglazers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2010, 02:12:07 pm »

What we need is for DF to put the last used material at the top of lists.

Please god yes. This would be fucking amazing.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2010, 08:26:01 pm »

/Signed
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Hague

• Bay Watcher
  • How do I shot web?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2010, 03:33:52 am »

For large wall constructions, I make bin forbidden piles of a specific material placed where the construction will go. The stockpiles fill up and then I pause, delete the stockpiles and build each construction tile individually. If you build walls and floors in larger constructions then you'll get cancellations for tasked materials being in the way of the building site. I find that this method works well with a recorded wall construction macro.

What I wish I had was multiple custom stockpile settings or at least a way to "eye-dropper" an existing stockpile to the custom stockpile settings.