Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Glassmaking  (Read 1244 times)

Pakhawaj

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Glassmaking
« on: September 02, 2010, 02:15:10 pm »

Hi (total newbie here),
How do I get my dwarfs to make things out of glass? They are using the other furnaces but not the glass one; I have disabled every other skill other than glassmaking and furnace operating, but my dwarf claims he has "no job".
I wanted to make a glass-based economy. :(

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
Re: Glassmaking
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2010, 02:32:03 pm »

You need to enable the "Glassmaking" labor (in the same group as stone crafting, bone carving, etc.) - "Furnace Operating" only covers the usage of smelters and kilns.

Don't forget to gather sand beforehand, and make sure you've got fuel available.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Pakhawaj

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2010, 03:18:36 pm »

Glassmaking is enabled, I only enabled furnace operating to make sure.
I've spent a long time gathering sand and I don't need fuel (I think) because the furnace is over a hole with 5/7 magma underneath. Also, the furnace is a magma furnace and not the regular kind.
I haven't received the message which says "so-and-so cannot create whatever due to a lack of materials", I'm only getting "no job".
Is there anything else I could try? :(

Edit:The operations in my queue are:
Create Raw Glass
Create Glass blocks
« Last Edit: September 02, 2010, 03:22:11 pm by Pakhawaj »

WCG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • That's interesting...
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2010, 03:32:00 pm »

Is there anything else I could try? :(

You're sure the furnace is set up OK? You didn't accidentally forbid any part of it, did you? The dwarfs aren't restricted by burrows from going there? And the furnace is set up correctly over the magma? Check the profile of the furnace, too. Did you change anything on that screen?

It sounds like a problem with the magma furnace - either the furnace isn't working or the dwarves can't use it.

But if that's not it, you might try removing the glassmaking skill assignment from your dwarf, let the game run for a few seconds, and then selecting it again. I've used that to jumpstart things occasionally, when some job has been stuck.

Pakhawaj

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2010, 03:54:18 pm »

Ah! Thank you so much! I deselected glassmaking, then selected it again after a few seconds and he went off to do his job. :D

Edit:I'm having another problem now with the dwarf claiming the zone I've set for the sand isn't applicable. Surely it is if I've picked up sand from there previously? I have lots of zones to pick up sand from, could this be the problem? Are the zones too far away (they are on the other end of the map)?
« Last Edit: September 02, 2010, 05:57:42 pm by Pakhawaj »

Lord Darkstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2010, 01:38:28 pm »

I've had sand collection zones became useless before. If your sand collection area is the surface, you can have plants grow in it. That will stop it from being useable.
learn to give consolations to frustrated people
What is this, a therapy session? We don't need to console someone because they're upset about a fucking video game. Grow a beard, son, and take off those elf ears!

Pakhawaj

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2010, 02:01:10 pm »

Thank you, I've got it all sorted now. :)
Glass is a pretty useful material in a land with no trees!