Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Pressure Plate not triggering floodgate?  (Read 775 times)

Buildengaems

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Pressure Plate not triggering floodgate?
« on: September 03, 2010, 12:54:57 pm »

I've been playing DF after being away from it for a year, and am having trouble with pressure plates.
I have a floodgate attached to a plate w/ settings 0-min, 6-max.  The floodgate is holding back water water that fills a hole w/ the pressure plate.  Idea being, water level gets up to 7, plate turns "off" since 7 is above its trigger range, and the floodgate closes until the water level dips to 0-6.  I open the gate w/ a level, hole fills up, but the plate doesn't trigger once the water level reaches 7 and close the floodgate.

Anyone know what I'm doing wrong?  I seem to remember doing this way back...

Beeskee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Pressure Plate not triggering floodgate?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2010, 01:25:32 pm »

It might be sending the trigger too quickly. Floodgates have a bit of a lag time to them. You may also need to use levers to initialize the system, I had a cistern where I had to do that but afterwards everything worked okay.
When a wizard is tired of looking for broken glass in his dinner, he is tired of life.

Lord Darkstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2010, 01:32:02 pm »

Pressure plates have a 100 tick lag, and floodgates have a 100 tick lag. So it will be 200 ticks between the pressure plate reaching 7 and the floodgate being triggered.
learn to give consolations to frustrated people
What is this, a therapy session? We don't need to console someone because they're upset about a fucking video game. Grow a beard, son, and take off those elf ears!

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2010, 04:13:40 pm »

Pressure plates only have a 100 tick lag when the weight is removed - stepping on a pressure plate triggers it instantly.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Buildengaems

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2010, 04:30:07 am »

Am I doing it correctly?  When you create the pad, the range of water you select is when it is open, yes?  So, if i want to have it open between water levels 1-6, then close on 7, i'd set range from 0min-6max?