Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Marksdwarf caught in infinite loop  (Read 547 times)

Zaik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Marksdwarf caught in infinite loop
« on: September 01, 2010, 08:34:21 am »

I've had functioning Marksdwarves before, all i had to do was set up their gear withgout using any uniforms and set archery targets to train for that squad only.

However this time i only have one and he is caught in an infinite loop of picking up gear.

He grabs masterwork steel everything armor except a left gauntlet, which is exceptional, an iron crossbow, a backpack with food, a waterskin, and a quiver with 25 iron arrows in it, then walks towards the archery range, then promptly turns around, unequips all the armor starting with the non-masterwork left gauntlet every time for some reason, strips down, puts the quiver, backpack, and waterskin up, walks towards my dining hall, turns around at the entrance in the exact place every time, then does it all again in the exact same order with the exact same stuff.

Anything i can do to fix this, or should i just give up on marksdwarves, since they don't seem to be any more useful than anything else but so much more of a pain in the ass to begin with?

Edit: Nevermind, gave up after an hour and a half of fiddling with it, he picked up a sword and shield just fine.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2010, 09:46:17 am by Zaik »
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

ChopperDave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Marksdwarf caught in infinite loop
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2010, 10:47:40 am »

I had the same thing happen recently and was able to fix the problem. I'll just tell you everything I did as I'm not sure what is necessary.

If disbanded the squad then remade it. I set up another pile for ammo with no bins and new archery targets, made sure they were pointing in the right direction and set them for training. After the haulers had filled the pile with bolts I activated the squad and they went to train.

Not sure if it was the new ammo pile or the new targets but it worked. My guys wouldn't pick up bolts at all so I'm not sure if this will fix your problem, but good luck.
Give an elf a fire and he will be warm for a day. Toss him 20z levels into the magma sea and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2010, 11:28:19 am »

Make sure he doesn't have mining or wood cutting enabled, since it seems to confuse dwarves about their equipment settings. I had some other problems with a hammerdwarf who had wood cutting enabled, and every time he went off duty (i.e. stopped training), he'd unequip all of his gear and leave his rations rotting in the hallway.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Zaik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2010, 03:09:24 pm »

Alright, i finally figured this out, although the only way i can get it to work is annoying.

I had to turn all labor off, set him to active with only a crossbow equipped, then station him inside the archery range. When he gets there, cancel the order and he'll practice with the 25 in his quiver. As soon as he runs out, he will grab 25 more, then go to his room and idle forever. Re-station him next to it and he'll practice again.

It sucks having to manually control the whole thing but it seems to be the only way i can get it to actually function at all :/

Edit2: I turned on training for him in the spear trap room and he bounces back and forth just fine, but he's going to be a Hammer Lord :/
« Last Edit: September 01, 2010, 03:46:41 pm by Zaik »
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]