Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cavernless Helmets. (Minor Spoilers, Maybe...)  (Read 836 times)

Skelodwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Mica for it's perfect cleavage.
    • View Profile
Cavernless Helmets. (Minor Spoilers, Maybe...)
« on: September 01, 2010, 11:02:16 pm »

Dear smart people in the modding forum:

Since I'm a sissy elf-lover, who is trying to make his game less FUN by removing all of the FUN stuff, I was wondering if anyone knew a way to have Plump helmets that worked exactly as they normally would (And other veggies as well) without any cavern layers.

And it's not even really that Caverns are too fun for me, it's more that they're just so... Non-OCD. It's like, here, look at my nice pretty fortress, with it's perfectly symmetric- DART, I found sum cavez.

I really just miss the simplicity of having 30 layers, and knowing that it was solid rock to the bottom. Well, unless you got [HFS]Lucky[/HFS].

Pretty much I'm just taking out everything that could make my game more difficult, (Invaders, Artifacts, Caves, Aquifers), and slowly adding them back in, AFTER I finally figure out all the new changes I'm not used to, (Military, Hospitals, 20 new industries).

So yeah, now I feel less lame, but much more wordy. So, Cavernless Helmets?
I never really got that excited over Microcline... Oh wait, THAT blue stuff.

Artanis00

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cavernless Helmets. (Minor Spoilers, Maybe...)
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2010, 01:21:28 am »

Dear smart people in the modding forum:

Since I'm a sissy elf-lover, who is trying to make his game less FUN by removing all of the FUN stuff, I was wondering if anyone knew a way to have Plump helmets that worked exactly as they normally would (And other veggies as well) without any cavern layers.

And it's not even really that Caverns are too fun for me, it's more that they're just so... Non-OCD. It's like, here, look at my nice pretty fortress, with it's perfectly symmetric- DART, I found sum cavez.

I really just miss the simplicity of having 30 layers, and knowing that it was solid rock to the bottom. Well, unless you got [HFS]Lucky[/HFS].

Pretty much I'm just taking out everything that could make my game more difficult, (Invaders, Artifacts, Caves, Aquifers), and slowly adding them back in, AFTER I finally figure out all the new changes I'm not used to, (Military, Hospitals, 20 new industries).

So yeah, now I feel less lame, but much more wordy. So, Cavernless Helmets?

Sorry if I'm missing something, but I never had any problems just throwing some water across a subterranean floor, building a farm plot, and planting some plump helmet spawn.

The 30z of solid rock can be had with caverns; Change "Above layer 1" in the parameters to 30, which will place 30 layers of solid rock above any caverns, if you want to expand a fort into caverns after some time of pretending they don't exist.

If you do that, you might want to set "Cavern layer number" to 1 so that magma is only 35-40 layers down instead of say, 70.

I generally have only 1 cavern, with openness, density, and water set to large values to avoid tiny passages and get large underground lakes with small outcroppings of muddy land from which to harvest silk and trees and such.
Git - fast, efficient, distributed version control system
Github - Free public repositories, issue tracking, wikis, downloads...

Skelodwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Mica for it's perfect cleavage.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2010, 02:14:43 pm »

The wiki says that if you remove Cavern layers there will be no underground plants, as the original civilization will never be able to get any. I haven't actually tested it, but I will now.

Edit: Yes, removing cavern layers does remove underground plants from the Embark list, as well as their seeds.
Since no one seems to have given an answer to this, I'mma assume it's impossible, and shall continue with the above suggested Lotsa Z-levels inbetween the soil and the only cavern.

Meh, probably better this way, just makes getting magma to the surface more difficult.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2010, 02:18:31 pm by Skelodwarf »
I never really got that excited over Microcline... Oh wait, THAT blue stuff.

Artanis00

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2010, 03:32:56 pm »

The wiki says that if you remove Cavern layers there will be no underground plants, as the original civilization will never be able to get any. I haven't actually tested it, but I will now.

Edit: Yes, removing cavern layers does remove underground plants from the Embark list, as well as their seeds.
Since no one seems to have given an answer to this, I'mma assume it's impossible, and shall continue with the above suggested Lotsa Z-levels inbetween the soil and the only cavern.

Meh, probably better this way, just makes getting magma to the surface more difficult.

Huh. That sounds buggy. At the very least, civs should be required to pick some plant to cultivate, even if their preferred fare is non-existent.

You can make the subterranean plants grow above ground by changing [BIOME:SUBTERRANEAN_WATER] to [BIOME:ALL_MAIN] and removing the depth. You can't farm them underground then, so plan on dragging light down to where you want your farms. Normally, this would preclude embarking with them, as dwarves prefer indoor farming and now there aren't any, so add [OUTDOOR_FARMING] to the dwarf civ entity so they'll farm them. Now you can get your plump helmets and other subterranean plants, however, doing so will make dwarves allow embarking with any above ground plant and plant product (I don't see sun berries in my test, but I imagine they'll show up).

Also, I think they may grow in the wild with the other shrubs.
Git - fast, efficient, distributed version control system
Github - Free public repositories, issue tracking, wikis, downloads...

Urist Mcinternetuser

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthulhu, the scariest Forgotten Beast of all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2010, 06:43:23 pm »

This should work.

Add this to reaction_other:

[REACTION:A]
[NAME:Summon plump helmet spawn]
[BUILDING:KITCHEN:CUSTOM_A]
[PRODUCT:1:SEEDS:NONE:PLANT_MAT:MUSHROOM_HELMET_PLUMP:SEED]
[SKILL:PROCCESSPLANTS]

[REACTION:B]
[NAME:Summon cave wheat seeds]
[BUILDING:KITCHEN:CUSTOM_B]
[PRODUCT:1:SEEDS:NONE:PLANT_MAT:GRASS_WHEAT_CAVE:SEED]

[REACTION:C]
[NAME:Summon pig tail seeds]
[BUILDING:KITCHEN:CUSTOM_C]
[PRODUCT:1:SEEDS:NONE:PLANT_MAT:GRASS_TAIL_PIG:SEED]

[REACTION:D]
[NAME:Summon sweet pod seeds]
[BUILDING:KITCHEN:CUSTOM_D]
[PRODUCT:1:SEEDS:NONE:PLANT_MAT:POD_SWEET:SEED]

[REACTION:E]
[NAME:Summon dimple cup spawn]
[BUILDING:KITCHEN:CUSTOM_E]
[PRODUCT:1:SEEDS:NONE:PLANT_MAT:MUSHROOM_CUP_DIMPLE:SEED]

[REACTION:F]
[NAME:Summon quarry bush seeds]
[BUILDING:KITCHEN:CUSTOM_F]
[PRODUCT:1:SEEDS:NONE:PLANT_MAT:BUSH_QUARRY:SEED]

and add this to Entity Default (for the Dwarf civ):

[PERMITTED_REACTION:A]
[PERMITTED_REACTION:B]
[PERMITTED_REACTION:C]
[PERMITTED_REACTION:D]
[PERMITTED_REACTION:E]
[PERMITTED_REACTION:F]

If you are wondering why I'm helping, it is because I to have OCD forts and I feel your pain.