Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Bioshock-style Crash  (Read 848 times)

PTTG?

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://2funnyguys.com
Bioshock-style Crash
« on: October 04, 2007, 07:34:00 pm »

Well today, the incredible happened. Today, just once, out of months of play, Dwarf Fortress Crashed. This happened while a backup program was running, I had revealed the whole map, and the computer had Hibernated and restored TWICE. Toady One, if this is what it takes to crash the Alpha Version of you two-man game, considering a team of expert coders can't make a million-dollar game run for  45 min. straight, well, I'm impressed. Here's to another 5 months of crash-free DF!

(Ok, maybe not for the new version.)

.@..**@.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
Re: Bioshock-style Crash
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2007, 11:01:00 pm »

I am also very impressed by the games' crash resistance.  I only got it to start crashing when I modded in a second fortress civ. (dwarves are still there) And even then it did what I would call some kind of safe crash.  The game stops, but it's only when loading the world in fortress mode, so it dosn't seem possible to get a -3.

Been playing for 8 years with the modded fortress civ and still no crash after the fort has been established.  Heck, it even seems to expect it, they can't build trap components because it's not in their entity def, and their carnivore flag makes them not treat plants as food.  Not to mention the fact that they can start with copper and bronze equipment because they don't have Metal_Pref like dwarves do.

To me the game seems to go beyond crash proof.  It outright expects you to do unexpected stuff with it.  You sir, are a genius.

Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2007, 04:01:00 am »

Indeed. The one and only crash I experienced was also PC-hybernation related. RESPECT!
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2007, 04:32:00 am »

Yer I've not managed to crash it yet, and as a programmer myself I do horrible things to my computers resources... what? is it wrong I have DF running while working?

I've not had the inflate error yet either but I'm sure I will eventually.

Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Poil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2007, 05:07:00 am »

I've never had it crash either. However I have had a corrupted save, when I did the ctrl+alt+delete shut down while saving so that's not really the fault of any software except for the one inside my head.
[DEMONLORD]

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2007, 05:34:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Poil:
<STRONG>I've never had it crash either. However I have had a corrupted save, when I did the ctrl+alt+delete shut down while saving so that's not really the fault of any software except for the one inside my head.</STRONG>

I always pause it if I decide I need to quit without saving, just to make sure nothing will be writing data.

Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Turgid Bolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Tacticus Grandmaster
    • View Profile
    • http://...
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2007, 03:15:00 pm »

Indeed the game seems hardy as the dwarves themselves! Until someone accidentally pulls the "shutdown" lever... >.> <.<

It was Urist!

"This is an engraving of a Dwarf and a Mandrill Leather Skirt. The Dwarf is raising the skirt."
Multiplayer Adventure Mode, the (now defunct) DF roleplaying game.