Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: the 'relatively simple/dependable FB/Titan capture plans' thread  (Read 678 times)

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA

Ayup. just post ideas of traps that are a bit easy to make, or usually work in certain circumstsnces.
heres one of mine.
Name: The Baited Building Destroyer Pitfall Trap (The BBDPT)
Goal: to atract, capture, and possibly injure building destroyers.
Schematics: Side view
□ wall
Ξ support with constructed floor beneath
_ floor hatch
    □
   _Ξ_
 □    □
□□□□□

Restrictions: does nothing to affect non building destroyers and/or fliers.
The target may be injured.
Advantages: Can neutralize the target instantaneously.
does not require more than 2 stone and 1 wood to make (needs 1 constructed floor, at least 1 hatch for enemy to enter trap, 1 wood for the support to allow weaker building destroyers to break in).
EXTENSIONS: more stone can be added in for a larger area (floors), more pathing options (grates) and a pressure plate/lever for dispatching large squads of goblins manualy.
1 wood can be replace with stone if you don't mind semi building destroyers.
RANKING OF ORIGINAL DESIGN
Usefullness:9/10, can halt the rampage of an FB from a fortress completely.
Dependancy:7/10, this trap relies on the fact that Building destroyers actively seek out destroyable buildings. this may not be true in a few cases.
Versatility:4/10, this trap only affects every kind of building destroyers. unless a rock support is used then it affects only certain building destroyers. it has no affect on fliers.
Expense: a very cheap trap only requiring a few rock/wood units, maybe more for a rig if used outdoors.
Lethality^Incapacitation Index: 5^8/10
this trap is nearly as effective as a cage trap, though slightly more harmful. the trapped creature might leap out at a dwarf unless the pit dug is >2 z-levels down.

Does anyone have any trap scheme they would like to share? any comments?

OcelotTango

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: the 'relatively simple/dependable FB/Titan capture plans' thread
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2010, 08:32:17 pm »

I have one

^^^
^I^
^^^
^=cage traps
I=wooden support

The support has a constructed floor on top of it.
when the building destroyer takes out the support, the ensuing cave-in knocks them out on the trap. Then just reset.

KojaK

• Bay Watcher
  • KojaK cancels job: interrupted by Dwarf Fortress
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2010, 08:41:10 pm »

Do constructed walls/floors/etc cause dust and cave-in debris like natural stone does?
Quote from: Airpi
A normal ballista does damage by piercing with overlarge arrows, a dwarven ballista does damage by crushing with entire trees.

They will run, naked, into the caverns and roll around in whatever nearby filth is available.  Watch for gory explosions.

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2010, 08:46:33 pm »

@OcelotTango, Titans can not be knocked out do to their hardcoded [NOSTUN] tag. However, the cave in will still smoosh them into oblivion.
@KojaK, yes they do, but they deconstruct right after they hit something.

Syreniac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2010, 01:33:15 am »

I remember someone somewhere once mentioned that if you get a demon webbed by a GCS, you can capture it in a cage trap. Perhaps that is worth trying?

thijser

• Bay Watcher
  • You to cut down a tree in order to make an axe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2010, 01:36:09 am »

side view
fff
 s   

s=support
f=floor

basically they know over the support and get crushed.
I'm not a native English speaker. Feel free to point out grammar/spelling mistakes. This way I can learn better English.

TherosPherae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2010, 01:39:07 am »

Decided to add to the OP's trap design a bit....

Schematics: Side view
7 = magma
□ wall
Ξ support with constructed floor beneath
_ floor hatch
.. = floor grate
0 = drainage area of some sort
   □7□
   □7□
    □
   _Ξ_
 □    □
□□□..□
□□□0□

Essentially the same thing, except if it's not a magma-proof building destroyer, IT SHALL DIE.

Not to mention the flow of magma would help keep the stupid thing there, as well as stop any flying buggers from getting out of the pit and continuing past the trap if you wall the trap in.
Quote from: Aqizzar
Being vengeance and the night could only be improved by being the ballpunching vengeful night.
Quote from: Cthulhu
Gotham's mysteriously high mental illness rate isn't so mysterious when you find out Batman thinks subduing a guy means spiking his head into the pavement like a football.

Ten_Tacles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2010, 02:05:06 am »

I remember someone somewhere once mentioned that if you get a demon webbed by a GCS, you can capture it in a cage trap. Perhaps that is worth trying?

Yes, that works.
I tested that with tamed war giant cave spiders (modded to get faster access to them) and had some Fun with clowns.
With 20 WGCS, 10 of the 40 clowns ended CAGED, and 4 survived after all the WGCS died of poisoned blood.