Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Why won't my army attack?!?  (Read 912 times)

kawaiidesunekochan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Why won't my army attack?!?
« on: August 30, 2010, 07:33:16 pm »

I'm being attacked by two forgotten beasts - a winged man made of plum agate and a flaming quadruped. I keep telling my army to go kill them but it says they can't follow the order. Why can't they attack?!?

Derekristow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
Re: Why won't my army attack?!?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2010, 07:36:11 pm »

Kill orders are a bit wonky.  Tell them to move next to the target and they will give chase on their own.
So my crundles are staying intact unless they're newly spawned... until they are exposed to anything that isn't at room temperature.  This mostly seems to mean blood, specifically, their own.  Then they go poof very quickly.

kawaiidesunekochan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2010, 07:43:00 pm »

Kill orders are a bit wonky.  Tell them to move next to the target and they will give chase on their own.
And how do you do that? The new army system confuses me a bit.

Gnauga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2010, 09:05:23 pm »

Press 'm' in the squad menu after selecting the squads you want to move. They'll station themselves wherever you designated them to. Your dwarves will charge the FB if they see it, so try to place them in a position to lure the FB to a battlefield of your choosing, before stationing them to attack.

kawaiidesunekochan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2010, 11:43:03 pm »

Yay, thanks guys! You saved my fortress!

Jetsquirrel

• Bay Watcher
  • In the end, i will win.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2010, 04:55:27 am »

Did they get their daily portion of booze?

csebal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2010, 05:07:07 am »

I also noticed that kill orders sometimes act up a little. In fact, when i issued a move order, they readily obeyed it, but when i changed it to a kill order, they just ran back to the barrack and strated organizing a wrestling demonstration. I guess they were brainstorming on how to kill the badguy or something. :) I guess big corporate working mechanisms snuck its way into DF as well. Now whenever there is something that needs to be done, we first get the dwarves to hold a meeting to decide who is in charge of doing it, then another meeting to decide who should be making the plans on how to do it, then several more meetings to discuss the details of the plan. By the time they come up with the solution, the enemy already died of boredom and they have to decide how to clean up the corpses. TO THE MEETING ROOM.

Gnauga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2010, 07:52:10 am »

Kill orders don't work so well, I find. When dealing with a megabeast, you definitely want at least three or four guys attacking together. With the kill order, they'll all (theoretically) rush at varying speeds from wherever they are to the target, usually arriving one-by-one. The station function sets up a local meeting point to charge the megabeast at relatively the same time.

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: haunting moos]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2010, 11:32:15 am »

Oddly, kill orders have worked fine for me when I frigging found them.

I'll go back to my corner and go complain about the military some more. >_>
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Vastin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2010, 03:30:50 pm »

Another common cause of this response from your dwarves is when they are armed with crossbows, but you forgot to assign (a)mmo to them in the military screen.

They will often have issues with this, though they may still run forward to club the enemy to death with their crossbows.