Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Uncut Gems  (Read 508 times)

MelianAlcarime

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Uncut Gems
« on: August 29, 2010, 07:17:33 pm »

A long time ago, back in 40d, there was a mod that allowed you to uncut gems, and return stone blocks to boulder form. I've attempted to re-create it using a custom workshop, but so far I have been unable to get it working correctly.

I thought it would be too inefficient to have to pick a specific gem type (though that would have been a cinch to put in the raws), so I was looking for the sort of reaction that would pick a random cut gem, consume it, and out pops the rough form.

I'm using GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT_A, but unfortunately, when I tested my workshop, out popped a rough bed!

I have the feeling that this mod should be extremely simple, and I'm just missing something obvious. I was wondering if perhaps one of you intelligent individuals could give me a steer in the right direction? I've checked the wiki, and did a search of the forums, but I haven't found anything particularly helpful in this matter.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
Re: Uncut Gems
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2010, 01:38:31 am »

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=62433.msg1431166#msg1431166

Doesn't let you turn blocks back into stones however.

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2010, 06:55:01 am »

Or turn cut gems into rough gems, it just splits up large gems and gem craft in small gems. Its a decent model to copy from though.

Not sure how you ended up with a bed. Probabaly a messed up item type, use ROUGH for rough gems.

As for the stone blocks, the item types there are BOULDER and BLOCKS (in plural yes). That one is going to be a bit of problem though, as it will also grab metal and glass blocks turning them into their respective 'boulders'. If need be you can add a reaction class to all the stone types. The gem sipltter mod also has an example of this.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

MelianAlcarime

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2010, 12:41:21 pm »

Not sure how you ended up with a bed. Probably a messed up item type, use ROUGH for rough gems.

I did use rough. And I got a rough bed. :( Maybe the problem was actually with my reagent. I'm going to re-try this based on the link provided, and see if I can't get it to work. I think I might have to give up on the de-blocking, however. My workshops are so cluttered as it is, too many more reactions would be a hassle to play with.