Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2nd Fortress Destroyed by EVIL Goblins  (Read 769 times)

Monde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
2nd Fortress Destroyed by EVIL Goblins
« on: August 31, 2010, 06:23:46 am »

Well what can I say. I moved into the neighbourhood as a group of 7 stumpies and after a short period of time was up to 90. Being my second fortress and a little confused I never managed to get my Industry off to a suitable start. Oh it was working all right but I never found the COOL ore. Until I realised I needed to dig Down DEEP.

That is when the issues started. I found this amazing cavern. which was 7 levels high.....this of course is the bottom where all the water is.

And while messing around down there the Goblins came as a siege force, not once but three times very close together. Unfortunately my army never servived the second coming and on the third was done and could not recover.

Da Spadger

• Bay Watcher
  • WINDMILL!
    • View Profile
Re: 2nd Fortress Destroyed by EVIL Goblins
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2010, 07:26:50 am »

You just got Fun'd.
While flooding by mining is done slowly, tediously and by accident, flooding by dwarven engineering is done with great speed, endless vigor and also by accident.

AltF8

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • PeriodicGames
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2010, 01:21:58 pm »

It happens to the best all of us.
Goblin pricking does not sound like it could pay well enough.

Golcondio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2010, 03:09:59 pm »

This teaches you one of the most important lessons in DF: never keep your fortress wide open!
Want to explore the caverns? Seal yourself off from the surface.
Want to kick some goblin donkey? Seal passage to the caverns.
And of course, there is no excuse for not trapping every entrance to hell and back so that you do NOT get taken by surprise...