Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: bone pile not taking from other refuse piles  (Read 976 times)

randomjgj

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
bone pile not taking from other refuse piles
« on: November 17, 2006, 01:03:00 am »

I tried setting up a new refuse stockpile inside that's limited to just bones, shells and skulls.  And then set it to take from my two outside refuse piles.  That was a couple of game months ago and nothing has been moved or scheduled to move that I can tell.
quot;...remember that we are not descended from fearful men..."

E Murrow

Maximus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: bone pile not taking from other refuse piles
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2006, 03:51:00 am »

Just to check: do you have refuse hauling (and haulers) enabled?

randomjgj

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2006, 05:21:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Maximus:
<STRONG>Just to check: do you have refuse hauling (and haulers) enabled?</STRONG>

Yes, refuse hauling is enabled.  All dwarves are set to haul refuse.  They're putting the bones from the butcher's on the outside refuse piles ok, but nothing is going from there to the inside bone/shell pile.

E Murrow

Silveron

• Bay Watcher
  • Arichect of Destruction
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2006, 12:34:00 pm »

To work around this you should turn bones off on your outdoor piles. With bones being in the general refuse piles definition, its a perfectly acceptable location for the bones. If you turn of the bones the bodies/pieces rot to bones/shells they should move to the other piles since bones conflict the definition.

And yes, I understand the bones should move anyway with the 'take from' function. This should get you what I think you intended.

Also, make sure you have the take from flagged in the right direction... the designation was clumsy up until recently.

randomjgj

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2006, 12:41:00 pm »

Good idea Silveron, I'll have to try that way.

I'm pretty sure I did the "take from" correctly.  I q'd the shell/bone pile and then moved to the outdoor piles and hit enter.

E Murrow

karnot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2007, 03:14:00 pm »

Lastest version - similar problem.
All i have in my indoor refuse pile - are bones from eating, i.e. turtle bones and fish bones. All horse, dog, and other bones just stay in the butcher's shop, cluttering it immensely. Actually, even if i turn on bones in my outdoor refuse pile - the bones STILL stay in butcher's shop.

OldMiner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2007, 07:20:00 pm »

Have you double checked in the [j]obs screen to see there are no jobs with the destination being the new refuse stockpile?

If not, you might have to change

• rders-[r]efuse to gather refuse from outside.  Bad times are entailed from that, of course.  Rotten corpses and remains from outside are also gathered in that case.

GrimmSweeper

• Bay Watcher
  • Tome of Knowledge
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2007, 07:26:00 pm »

Yeah, the butcher WILL get cluttered up quickly if you build it outside of your fort. As OldMiner implied just above me (hello up there!) the refuse is sitting outside, therefore it ain't going to get picked up by your dwarves. You're going to have to either carve a 3x3 niche into the cliffside and build the butchery there or shift your slaughtering operation further into the mountain.

The same is true when you get your refuse to an outside pile; it's outside, why touch it when your

• rders explicitly forbid it?

karnot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2007, 03:01:00 am »

quote:
 the refuse is sitting outside, therefore it ain't going to get picked up by your dwarves.

It did before. I distinctly remember that in the earlier versions after some animal was butchered (both butcher and refuse pile outside) the dwarves came and hauled the remains to the pile.
Not anymore.

ctrlfrk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2007, 04:29:00 am »

I had this problem once, i solved it by turning on "dwarves gather refuse from outside".