Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Game crashes at save  (Read 1524 times)

PumpkinG

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Game crashes at save
« on: September 29, 2007, 08:31:00 am »

First of all, hello, i'm new to the forums.
I found about this game a couple of days ago and i must say it's quite addictive, however i seem to have a problem and i can't figure out how to solve it, my PC keeps crashing after each savegame and everytime i try to load a saved game (it loaded a savegame once, a game that was saved right after the start), it crashes also whenever i use the world generator(usually after it finds a suitable region and finishes the rivers).
Seems to be a  hardware or configuration problem so here comes my question: is there any compatibility list or anything i can do to find out what is happening and a way to fix it?
Thanks in advance.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
Re: Game crashes at save
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2007, 03:14:00 pm »

I don't have a list, but I don't recall a piece of hardware being singled out either.  Anybody have ideas?  I guess it could be all sorts of things.  RAM?  Up to date drivers?  Fresh install of the game?
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

PumpkinG

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2007, 03:55:00 pm »

Well, i did a fresh install of the game(the small version) and reinstalled the video card( since i moved the default settings for the last game i used to play) and this time the world generator worked fine, then i went to play and saved after an hour, no problems there  :D , then saved after the first winter and it crashed again  :confused: i'm kinda puzzled here.

axus

• Bay Watcher
  • Axe Murderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2007, 10:46:00 pm »

most problems are from video cards, but is there any other program that crashes your pc like that?  Run memtest?

PumpkinG

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2007, 06:36:00 pm »

The problem wasn't related to the game after all   :)

purplehierophant

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2007, 06:54:00 pm »

I have a similar problem:

I downloaded the game, and played for quite a few hours getting passed the magma chasm.  decided to abandon the fortress and start again, but didn't want to interrupt the first game, so i made a copy, and started playing that. I found a fortress, saved  and left, but any time i try to save a second time, I get an inflate -3 error. I got a memtest application, and after running through all my ram 5oo%, thre's been no errors. Is it an intentional thing, i.e. in addition to the 'iron-man' save only when you exit, you can't make copies? I've gone back to the orgiinal fortress, played a bit, and saved multiple times, and nothing happened badly.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2007, 06:59:00 pm »

You have to be very careful with the way you back things up.  Only back up your saved game when you are not actually playing, for one thing:  Sitting at the main menu, or quit out of DF entirely, are safe.  Anything else will kill you.  Also, you have to be careful with the way you reload:  Don't overwrite your old region directory.  Delete it, and put your backup in its place.

It's not malice, it's just easy to screw up.

Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!