Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Soldiers won't attack giant bat  (Read 1049 times)

TotalPigeon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Soldiers won't attack giant bat
« on: December 02, 2007, 03:57:00 am »

Okay, I have a named giant bat hanging around an entrance to my fortress. It just killed a farmer. I move my marksdwarves right next to it, and they ignore it - unless it attacks them, in which case the one attacked dwarf wrestles with it, and generally dies.

Marksdwarves have lots of ammo. They are set to harrass dangerous animals. Tried setting them on both chase enemies and stay at station. They are on duty. v33d, clean install and generated world.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
Re: Soldiers won't attack giant bat
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2007, 02:10:00 am »

Do you have a save where they are having this trouble?  It might be screwing up the firing line calculation, or it might have to do with their general timidity around unconscious creatures (even if the bat isn't unconscious), or something else...
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

TotalPigeon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2007, 03:08:00 am »

Try this link. I'm afraid I don't have anywhere of my own to host it, so if it doesn't work let me know and I'll find another place to put it

Edit: some other things I just realised... everyone is ignoring it, I'm not being spammed by "X cancels job, interrupted by Giant Bat." It also seems to ignore the dwarves unless they stand on it. If the bat doesn't move from where it currently is, several dwarves will very soon walk past it, and cue some general slaughter.

[ December 05, 2007: Message edited by: TotalPigeon ]

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2007, 03:15:00 am »

I downloaded it, though I was subjected to various images and stuff.  I'll take a look at it when I get a chance.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2007, 05:23:00 pm »

I think the bat's strange behavior is caused by the broken bone bug which made creatures with broken bones blind.

When I loaded the saves, neither of the squads was set to harass dangerous animals.  When I turned that on, they shot at the bat and hit it several times.  Not sure what happened to the settings if you are absolutely sure they were set.

TotalPigeon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2007, 03:44:00 am »

Strange... I'm sure I tried "harass dangerous animals" on for both squads, so I checked it again myself with a fresh download of the new version, and I still can't get any of them to shoot it with that option.

Only thing I can think of that might be useful, is that I could put up another save a few seconds later where the dwarves should already be shooting the bat, while set to harass and all that.

Also, did you see my edit in the earlier post? I realised that is isn't just my marksdwarves that have a problem, none of my dwarves are acknowledging the creature as dangerous for some reason. Which turns out to be a fairly stupid mistake...

Edit: I'll hang on to the save till the next version, and see if the "broken bone bug" fix sorts out the problem

[ December 06, 2007: Message edited by: TotalPigeon ]

Dagonus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2007, 04:41:00 pm »

I had a similar issue with Cave Sparrow. It was attacking dwarves(Killed a few) and when it attacked a woodscutter he cut off its wing. This rendered it unconscious but not before it did enough damage to have him bleed to death.

When i sent the army out to try and kill it (I had them chasing it around the map but they were too slow to keep up with it so I resigned to just let it have its way for a while) since it was on the ground, they looked at it. When I set their station point ON the Sparrow the lead dwarf stood on it but did nothing. The rest watched. I stood them down and the lead dwarf remained. I was beginning to think he would die of thirst when I noticed him walking back and the sparrow finally dead. There was none of the traditional purple blinking indicating fighting and a competent level soldier shouldn't have any trouble killing an unconscious bird on the ground, yet he wasn't doing anything to it until I left him alone long enough. Unfortunately, I don't have a save of it.

<P>The only difference between a bug and a feature is documentation.