Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The lag! It burns!  (Read 1144 times)

janglur

• Bay Watcher
  • +Blood Soup+
    • View Profile
The lag! It burns!
« on: August 25, 2010, 05:57:14 pm »

So 122 dorfs, about 25 animals (aggressively managing cat/dog splosions).  Getting 50-60 FPS.

And suddenly framerate drops to abyssmal.  We're talking 3-5 FPS here, tops.  I can't figure out why.  Then finally I see it.

Half my map is on fire, and I have no idea how/why.  We haven't even hit magma yet!  (Late bloomers)

I assume there's no fix beyond just waiting it out?

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
Re: The lag! It burns!
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2010, 06:09:10 pm »

Nice thread name.

Although the usual option of 'Apply Magma' would indeed solve this problem.  It would unfortunately take a very long time to apply said magma.  Especially since you haven't hit it yet.

Applying water in this situation would be almost as effective, and probably be closer to possible in a reasonable timeframe.  You also have the option of creating a firebreak(shallow channel,, dirt roads, constructed floor, etc. Anything that removes the grass ahead of the fire) which should shorten the total burninating time.

Other than that though, yea, your best bet is indeed to wait it out.

P.S. If you are willing to pseudo-cheat you would probably get your FPS back by turning off temperature.  Not entirely sure how the fire would react though, might go out immediately, might act normally, might become perpetual until extinguished with magma water
« Last Edit: August 25, 2010, 06:11:41 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

janglur

• Bay Watcher
  • +Blood Soup+
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2010, 06:20:00 pm »

Yeah, it's moving too far and already over 1/4 of the map, very close to my entrance.  I am NOT allowing my dorfs out.

Also, I haven't hit a cavern yet (REALLY late bloomers) so I have no endless water supply.  =(

Ohwell.  At least this is an epic lag survival!  Go Phenom II, go!

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2010, 06:59:38 pm »

Channels stop fire dead. It can't move z-levels unless something is surrounded by exclamation points and moves down one (ie, the only way for fire to change z-levels is if something on fire changes z-levels)
Please, take a moment of silence for all the venerable old threads rendered unintelligible by the Great Photobucket Dickification of 2017. So much was lost.

janglur

• Bay Watcher
  • +Blood Soup+
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2010, 08:08:11 pm »

Come on folks, talk to me... about anything!

I got a 4x4 square of perfectly flat forest to burn before I can play much.  =/

HatfieldCW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2010, 09:41:18 pm »

In 40d, at least, just designating a stockpile served as a firebreak.  Surround the fire with stockpiles that don't hold anything, and it'll burn out faster.
I brake for stumble bumblings

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2010, 10:30:03 pm »

Ah yes, the stockpile method.  I had forgotten about it.  Stockpiles can do all kinds of magical things.

I kinda considered it exploit-y,  but I never had a fire reduce me to 3 FPS either.  In that situation I don't think I would be opposed to a stockpile firebreak to kill a fire when it passed the point of being capable of damaging the fortress.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

janglur

• Bay Watcher
  • +Blood Soup+
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2010, 10:40:57 pm »

Nevermind.  Fort over.  Tantrum spiral after an ambush killed a few woodcutters.  >=/

Vastin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2010, 09:08:45 pm »

Ok, wait. I have to ask at this point - how do so many fortresses get ganked by these tantrum spirals so often?

I've only ever lost one fortress to that effect, and it was a horribly mismanaged succession fort with a dozen waterlogged dwarf corpses that had been floating in the moat for several seasons!

I mean, my dwarves generally go through life with a standard attitude of 'ecstatic'. They brush off the death of their fellows with remarkable aplomb. They eat, they drink, they dig. Occasionally they get crushed, roasted, or diced. But they're almost always pretty congenial little runts.

Do you people lock them in pits without food or water? Do you let the goblin lashers set up their social calendar? Do you deprive them of master-crafted native gold and platinum statues and engraved bedrooms? I mean, what's up?

janglur

• Bay Watcher
  • +Blood Soup+
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2010, 10:15:51 pm »

No, we neglect the legendary dining room for the first year.  =D

Dwarves are most susceptible if they're social.  ALL my dwarves in that fort were chums.  So a couple deaths (including the mayor) sent them a-spiraling.

It doesn't happen too often to me, but it has happened.  Dwarves are most vulnerable before the fort is well established.  But the starting 7 seem largely immune to the effect.

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2010, 02:24:38 am »

There are other cases too.
I remember one guy who was friends with like 2 other guys, and had a grudge with most of the fort.

He was always at least Unhappy because he had to talk to annoying people. I got him out to stand after he hit Miserable one time. The guy was like a walking timebomb of social failure and mass murder.

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: haunting moos]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2010, 04:01:49 am »

Hell, my dwarf went insane in my current succession fort thanks to having no friends, being accosted by vermin, and being constantly annoyed by a metalsmith which spent most of his time sitting on him.
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

MadJax

• Bay Watcher
  • Magma Muppet
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2010, 05:00:30 am »

Been hit by one tantrum spiral, and that was after an unfortunate digging incident that allowed the river to flow freely through my fort. Took a year to drain out, claimed over 100 lives in the flood/spiral/infection. Ended up with 3 dorfs left.

Survived another 10 years after that due to Migrant "In spite of the danger" :)
Dwarven Math:

Dorf + Magma + Insane Project = SCIENCE!