Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Need Help With Castes.  (Read 1137 times)

Urist Mcinternetuser

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthulhu, the scariest Forgotten Beast of all.
    • View Profile
Need Help With Castes.
« on: August 25, 2010, 11:02:10 pm »

I've been starting to mod again lately (Haven't done much since 40d), and I really don't get how castes work. I'm trying to add Dwarven sub-species. So, would someone post an example of a sub-species caste?
Please?
« Last Edit: August 25, 2010, 11:13:07 pm by Urist Mcinternetuser »

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Need Help With Castes.
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2010, 11:19:39 pm »

I have a couple of things somewhere...

Simpleish example from a topic a while back:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The process is thus: I create a new creature, and declare everything that I want to be the "default" - those tags will be applied to all castes. The reason we do this before declaring the castes is so the "default" tags won't overwrite any changes we make via the castes themselves.

I then declare each caste. Any tags I add to each caste will be applied in addition to the "default" tags that were declared earlier. If I declare a tag here which has already been declared in all castes, the value of that tag will be overwritten for the currently selected caste. Example:

Code: [Select]
[CREATURE:BIGAPIS]
[BODY_SIZE:0:0:2000][BODY_SIZE:2:0:42500]
[CASTE:QUEEN]
   [BODY_SIZE:0:0:2000][BODY_SIZE:1:0:1000000][BODY_SIZE:5:0:5000000][BODY_SIZE:10:0:7500000][BODY_SIZE:20:0:11500000]
   [BODY_SIZE:40:0:17500000][BODY_SIZE:80:0:22500000][BODY_SIZE:160:0:30500000][BODY_SIZE:800:0:62500000]

In this example, any castes that I don't add the BODY_SIZE tag to will have the "default" value(s). I've declared the BODY_SIZE tag for the QUEEN caste specifically, and the values thereof will overwrite the "default" values for that caste only. This is the basic gist of castes.

You can use the aformentioned SELECT_CASTE tag, and the SELECT_ADDITIONAL_CASTE tag, to select a specific caste or series of castes after you've declared them. The selected caste will stay selected until you select another caste (or ALL, for all castes).

A lot of tags are at the caste level, but some are at the creature level only (and thus will automatically apply to all castes, or maybe bug out if applied to a specific caste), while a few others have caste-specific variations for reasons unknown (say, CREATURE_TILE and CASTE_TILE are the same thing, but the latter affects the selected caste(s) specifically. Same thing for NAME and CASTE_NAME). You might want to experiment to figure out which tags are which - I know that the caste-specific variations of creature-level tags (such as NAME/CASTE_NAME mentioned above) are listed on the creature tokens page on the wiki, at least.

Urist Mcinternetuser

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthulhu, the scariest Forgotten Beast of all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2010, 11:23:47 pm »

Thank you 3. Will resume modding immediately.

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2010, 12:48:02 pm »

Check out the castes of the Genesis mod, now with male and female genitals and cow udders!

0-2 days more until edged-weapon rebalance in Genesis 3.1, much much less "lower body flies off!"
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884