Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Make Snow Melt  (Read 2868 times)

Shadowclaimer

• Bay Watcher
  • Looks like cat for dinner.
    • View Profile
Make Snow Melt
« on: August 23, 2010, 09:29:31 am »

Honestly I think this'd be awesome, when my snow disappeared when it warmed up I was disappointed to see it didn't melt into 1/7 water and leave behind mud or anything. Would be cool to see the heavier snow higher in the mountains melt and flow water down into the valleys and such.
Advanced Civilizations (0.40.X+)

Former creator of Metallurgy, Atum, Aquaculture, and Agriculture for Minecraft and Toxic Worlds for Starbound.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
Re: Make Snow Melt
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2010, 09:43:23 am »

This makes sense to me...

Hmm... Footkerchief might come in with a list of threads later, but just looking back, Watery Diversity seems like the most interesting thread to look at, and this thread seems to most closely resemble your thread.

Snowpack (snow in the mountains) is actually something I was recently talking about as a way of regulating water supply through brooks (which mainly start at the edges of mountains), since snowpack melts all through the spring and summer, and can create seasonal changes in the flow of waterways.  This was important to me in the Improved Farming thread, because supplying enough water is supposed to become a real concern.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Shadowclaimer

• Bay Watcher
  • Looks like cat for dinner.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2010, 09:45:16 am »

To me its something relatively simple, and very cool to see, this is the first time I've encountered snow actually in all my time playing and I love it, seeing my outter fortress gates covered in snow come winter is cool, but seeing it melt in summer, instantly disappearing and leaving behind no liquid is kinda saddening, was hoping it'd help clean off some of my stuff or provide a temporary water source.
Advanced Civilizations (0.40.X+)

Former creator of Metallurgy, Atum, Aquaculture, and Agriculture for Minecraft and Toxic Worlds for Starbound.

Jayce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2010, 04:35:18 pm »

Yeah i tryed this on a glacier dropping ice into a pit hoping it would create a pool,instead i got 50 pieces of water.