Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Combined breaks/eating/sleeping  (Read 1455 times)

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Combined breaks/eating/sleeping
« on: August 23, 2010, 04:03:59 pm »

Much time is wasted by dwarves moving from their workplace (especially miners...) to the residential area and back. I suggest that dwarves take their breaks combined. Preferably in one go if possible, so they have a clear working day (and you can be pretty certain that dwarves that are working will keep doing so, and dwarves that are on break probably won't start working). This saves many trips to the drinks stockpile, to the dining hall, to the residential area etc.

It's not all or nothing. Cleaning self for example is now set to happen before sleeping. Similarly, a dwarf might combine eating and drinking (and later, the latrines) or socializing and grooming and sleeping.

(Making them carry lunchboxes like the military is the preferred solution for those who still need to eat during their shift, but that's another suggestion.)
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
Re: Combined breaks/eating/sleeping
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2010, 11:24:25 pm »

Hmmm... I like this suggestion quite a bit more.  It certainly makes sense to drink when you eat (and having to go relieve yourself after downing half a keg).  I'd certainly also like an ability to carry a lunchbox and canteen, and I don't see much reason this couldn't be a "easier breaks" thread.

With that said, I would still like this to be part of the Job Priority (I'm going to have to really go into that thread sometime soon...) arc, where we could be able to set civilian uniforms, the ability to carry such things as lunch boxes, how they take their breaks, and how early they go to take those breaks...

If it costs 1 food unit to have a meal, and 1 drink unit to have a drink, but you need to drink a little more than twice as often as you need to eat (so that the second time you need to drink comes before the time you need to eat the first time), then you still have a problem unless you set up those percentage-based triggering conditions I was talking about in the other thread.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2010, 12:14:34 pm »

I'm more in favour of a time-based schedule than a desire-based schedule. If based on desires it will either cripple any form of higher organization beyond individual desires. So the impact of going hungry for a bit until the next mealtime will have to be less dangerous. Skipping a meal or three hasn't killed anyone who wasn't undernourished already, but apparently it does kill dwarves.. (assuming they're having 8 meals a year, as Toady mentioned).

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2010, 01:32:40 pm »

I'm not sure what you mean by "desire-based"... if you were referring to what I was talking about, I mean that you can set in each individual dwarf's page for "Job Priorities" whether they take combined breaks or not, as a sort of option you can check off or meddle with in priorities.

If you want to make dwarves skip meals, you need to start modelling serious repercussions to it, though, because you don't want to make it too easy to skip meals. 

Making dwarves have hits to productivity like the slowdown caused by a lack of booze until they can eat, plus possibly some ability drain as their body eats itself (doesn't come back except by working that stat up through skill gain) would give players reason not to abuse the system.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2010, 01:36:11 pm »

If your dwarves are working far from the residential facilities, it saves time to put up some temporary work camps near the work area. I do this, with a few barrels of food/booze and some beds and then restrict them to a burrow around the worksite.

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2010, 03:41:35 pm »

I'm not sure what you mean by "desire-based"... if you were referring to what I was talking about, I mean that you can set in each individual dwarf's page for "Job Priorities" whether they take combined breaks or not, as a sort of option you can check off or meddle with in priorities.
I'd rather set it at a larger level (profession or even military/civilian) but more precision always works. With desire-based I mean that dwarves go drink and eat when they're thirsty and hungry instead of following a kind of schedule and tolerating the thirst for while. Heavy penalties on going against the desire of your dwarves makes schedules difficult unless the margins are quite broad.

If you want to make dwarves skip meals, you need to start modelling serious repercussions to it, though, because you don't want to make it too easy to skip meals. 

Making dwarves have hits to productivity like the slowdown caused by a lack of booze until they can eat, plus possibly some ability drain as their body eats itself (doesn't come back except by working that stat up through skill gain) would give players reason not to abuse the system.
Sure, but the threshold for that is rather low at the moment. Skipping a meal isn't very harmful; some say it even makes someone more alert.