Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: New arrivals.  (Read 783 times)

Jayce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
New arrivals.
« on: August 26, 2010, 06:37:03 am »

A small suggestion,can you make new arrivals to dwarf fortresses have the tag NEW ARRIVAL or something similair for a season,so they can be more easily sorted,or my favorite just given a pick and made into a miner.

Rowantwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: New arrivals.
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2010, 06:57:55 am »

If you're using Dwarf Therapist, you can sort the dwarves by migration wave.

Or, you could give everyone custom professions/names, so that if some dwarf has a standard profession/name, you know you haven't fiddled with the dwarf yet. E.g. I use "peon" for peasants, "digger" for miners, "chef" for cooks, and so on.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2010, 08:17:11 am »

They also have that dark grey "X" flashing on them until they have yet to settle down into your fortress, although how "new" do you mean?

Also, I would find it highly annoying if every random yahoo that wandered into my fort was given a pick and sent off mining...
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Jayce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2010, 02:07:26 pm »

No i didnt mean they should all auto become miners thats just what i do, and i use the grey Xs but sometimes the stragglers dont come onscreen and it would be alot easier from unit screen.
Its a pain when you get a wave of 20-30 migrants.

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2010, 03:34:41 pm »

If you provoke full employment for your citizenry for a moment (make them dump the last invasion wave's garderobe or something), then the immigrants will be the only ones with "no job". That status could be easily made more precise, like "no job: immigrant" or in other cases "no job: insane" etc. Simple suggestion but effective.

Alternatively, since the new skill system I give each dwarf a custom job name with a few abbreviations that developed (wocu for woodcutter, carp for carpenter, unused skill after a bracket etc.). Any dwarf with an unchanged name hasn't been looked at yet.
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

Jayce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2010, 04:32:54 pm »

Yeah i gave my very skilled dwarfs the title master,i guess i could nickname my main dwarfs the title main or something.