Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: hey guys  (Read 1117 times)

Brandedahall

• Bay Watcher
  • DWARF...why you not work :(
    • View Profile
hey guys
« on: August 21, 2010, 08:23:15 pm »

hi all, I've just atarted out modding dwarf fortress, and i need a bit of help.

Has anyone got any infomation on how to mod properly, at the moment i have just modded gold and platinum to be able to make them into weps and armor. i am thinking of changing most of the "minerals" able to be made into armor.  :-\

also i would be gratefull if anyone has any ideas for me :)
Hi guys, like my post? give me a msg

i also like critisism

[This is a pig tail fiber thong, it object menaces with spikes of pig tail fiber] D:

Brandedahall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: hey guys
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2010, 10:12:50 pm »

anyone :(

i also like critisism

[This is a pig tail fiber thong, it object menaces with spikes of pig tail fiber] D:

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Expanding your universe.
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2010, 04:57:32 am »

Well in case you haven't stumbled upon it. Check out my signature for my guide. It's mostly reaction modding, but it's better than nothing. Deon and a few others are a wealth of knowledge as well. More or less, pick a subject, start working on it, search the forum if your questions been asked already, if it's more than a month old, go ahead and start a new thread. Just show the link to the thread you found. If anyone complains about you making a new thread. Tell them I said it was okay. :P
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2010, 05:06:53 am »

The viability of the "minerals into armour" idea depends on how you approach it... you may be able to add the ITEMS_BARRED tag to whatever materials you're planning on using, which may allow for you to make "bone" items out of that material. I haven't tested this, and don't have any idea of how well it would work.

A more reliable solution, which would take a little more effort, would be to create a series of reactions that create a specific type of armour from an item. You'd be better off putting whichever materials you wanted to use in a certain reaction class, then make the reaction take items from said class, using the GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT tag to make sure the end product is the same material as the input item. Of course, you'll want to figure out reaction syntax before that, so Shaostoul's advice applies there.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2010, 05:38:58 am »

A more reliable solution, which would take a little more effort, would be to create a series of reactions that create a specific type of armour from an item.
Sadly, it's not possible. Armor comes out of 750'000 size so it's not wearable. It's a DF bug.

The best way would be to make a "metal" type for each mineral. Another way is to experiment with material tokens as 3 suggested.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2010, 05:41:38 am »

Oh yeah, I forgot about that bug. Again. Damn.

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2010, 05:52:39 am »

Using a metal for stone armor would cause all sorts of oddities, like the armor being meltable and requiring 'microcline bars' or something. It would be nice if the you could add something like bone or shell to the stuff, and then turn it into a item that can be used in the crafters shop. Unfortunately you cant create bone items out of reaction product, as those are actualy bodyparts. The reaction syntax wont let you define those.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

Brandedahall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2010, 06:04:03 am »

thankz for the advice, ill look at the guide Shaostoul but im still not sure of how, its harder than burning sand :(

i also like critisism

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Expanding your universe.
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2010, 10:06:47 am »

Well pretty much everyone that replied here is more than happy to help, including myself. I've been consistently busy and away lately, so I'm not quite so reliable at the present time. I'll help where I can, but beyond that, it's a guessing game when I'll be on or just sheer luck.
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!

Brandedahall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2010, 02:48:30 pm »

thankz, ill probs be thinking of ideas or actually modding :) also i still need some ideas, small stuff. i'm thinking stuff that can help people with bugs and when annoying things happen

i also like critisism