Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Soldier bled out in sparring... Was on-duty  (Read 2028 times)

Turgid Bolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Tacticus Grandmaster
    • View Profile
    • http://...
Re: Soldier bled out in sparring... Was on-duty
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2007, 05:48:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Lightning4:
<STRONG>It stays true to life. Two people messing with sharp objects doesn't always end well. :P</STRONG>

Yes, but in real life people don't go messing with sharp objects until they know what they're doing. They practice with fake weapons first, and maybe even fake opponents. They should only spar with "live" weapons and real opponents when they feel very confident that they won't kill eachother. The occasional accident should happen, but most of the time it's only a minor injury (bruises, maybe a broken bone), and almost never crippling for life.

Dwarves should be smart enough to stay safe. Perhaps a young or reckless dwarf would take some stupid risks, but not everyone. Anyway, I know Toady has mentioned making them recognize dangerous situations (like not looting bodies while the goblins are still around), this will just be an extension of that.

"This is an engraving of a Dwarf and a Mandrill Leather Skirt. The Dwarf is raising the skirt."
Multiplayer Adventure Mode, the (now defunct) DF roleplaying game.

Lightning4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Soldier bled out in sparring... Was on-duty
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2007, 08:46:00 pm »

True. Though one has to question just how intense their sparring sessions are when they're using the real weapons, considering I do occasionally get dwarves with mangled limbs or outright killed. Training weapons will only get a dwarf so far, and even if they know how to handle a real weapon, the possibility of a crippling or mortal injury is not impossible.

You've got to figure that with how often they get injured, and how fast they gain skill, they're probably going full force with their attacks. Sounds like a tough Dwarf way to do it to me. Brutal, but effective.

Though this is why we could use blunted weapons. Swords and spears would be pretty much similar to their normal counterparts in weight and balance, except swords won't sever anymore, but can still break bones or pretty badly mangle... and I can't imagine a blunted spear doing all that much besides bruising or occasionally breaking some bones. Axes would be the same as swords. Breaks but no severs.
The danger of hammers and maces can't really be eliminated. There's always the chance that thing is gonna lodge in their face and kill them.

Pages: 1 [2]