Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Suicidal Legendary Armorsmith thinks he's in military.  (Read 893 times)

melomel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Suicidal Legendary Armorsmith thinks he's in military.
« on: August 20, 2010, 08:53:38 pm »

He is, of course, NOT in the military and hasn't been since he became potentially very useful.  As one of the starting seven, he was probably drafted at one point to deal with a kobold/raccoon/whatever, but he's not in any of my existing squads.  This is the third time he's charged into battle...  going to try assigning him to the miner's squad (never activated, created solely to try and get my miners into high-quality leather armor).

Anyone else had this problem?  Also, has anyone else successfully gotten their civilians into basic protective gear via barracks-less squads told to wear light armor when off-duty?  >_<
I HAVE THREE HUNDRED THOUSAND CRAFT ITEMS. I WILL TRADE THEM ALL FOR CHEESE.
7+7

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
Re: Suicidal Legendary Armorsmith thinks he's in military.
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2010, 05:32:01 am »

I did actualy once have a peasant that kept charging into sieges dispite me very clearly telling him to stay in the bunker-burrow. Thankfully he wasnt very useful, I was just like 'well had that coming didnt you?' when he finaly got himself killed. It might be some extreme version of some personality trait, might want to look in the armourers profile.

Assinging equipement to civilians worked for me without trouble. You might want to make a custom uniform and assing that to anything you want to keep alive.

Not sure if that will keep you dwarf from charging to his doom though. I suggest locking him up in a forge with a giant stack of steel or bronze. And booze.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

melomel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2010, 01:44:48 am »

That's the plan, but I only just got down past the aquifers to the first cavern level.

I'm thinking...  I don't remember, really, but I might've appointed him as leader of a squad that got disbanded--I know other dwarves have regained their senses after being un-drafted.

*double-checks personality*  Pretty normal as far as dwarfs go, and also it's actually a woman.

That's good to know about the armor, though--could be stockpile issues, or the regular troops grabbing all those masterwork shell gauntlets instead of lower-quality metal gear.  (I keep seeing a LOT of masterwork shell stuff on my militia...  thriving fishing industry + moody bonecarvers = giant piles of turtle/mussel/oyster shell junk.)
I HAVE THREE HUNDRED THOUSAND CRAFT ITEMS. I WILL TRADE THEM ALL FOR CHEESE.
7+7

bowie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2010, 02:17:22 am »

I'm thinking...  I don't remember, really, but I might've appointed him as leader of a squad that got disbanded--I know other dwarves have regained their senses after being un-drafted.
Perhaps check the nobles screen; see if he is a militia captain/commander
Must... Eat... Demon... Rat ARGLEBLARGH *crash* OMNOMNOMNOM
Tastes.. like... SAAAAATAAAAAAAAN!

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2010, 05:37:44 am »

Using the 'metal armor' uniform should prevent the shell armor thing. You can also make a custom uniform to save some time assining civilian stuff.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!