Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: missing stone types  (Read 1037 times)

qalnor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
missing stone types
« on: November 12, 2006, 03:57:00 pm »

I feel ridiculous even saying this, but in my current game of dwarf fortress, it seems that there are certain kinds of stone which are either nonexistent, or extremely extremely rare.

Diorite
Dolomite
Pumice
Schist
Siltstone
Slate

All do not seem to exist, anyplace. I've cut to the lava, and I've excavated vast amounts of rock, but much to my chagrin, there is none of any of this that I have been able to find.

I should say, that I have most intensively searched for a couple of them, while keeping an eye out for the others, since I could only hold in my head the names of a couple or a few at a time for quick searching.

I've always found there to be disparate quantities of stone, but this is the first time I have been completely unable to find several types of stone.

Frugal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: missing stone types
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2006, 05:25:00 pm »

I haven't found any Schist in my fortress, but everything else has been fairly easy to obtain.

Well, actually I might be lacking Pumice as well.

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2006, 08:17:00 pm »

It could be that the marbling of rock is horizontal instead of vertical. Try digging a shaft on the upper or lower thirds of the map, instead of the center. Also, some types like pumice and slate are more common the closer to the lava flow you go; at least, that's how it's been for me.
Quote from: Max White
"Have all the steel you want!", says Toady, "It won't save your ass this time!"

Silveron

• Bay Watcher
  • Arichect of Destruction
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2006, 12:46:00 pm »

Also, I have noted that the different stones are more common/scarce on different fortresses. I do not have any correlations to share but the overall mix seems randomized to me. One time I'll have tons of grantite and the next time I might see a mear handfull of pieces.(without strip mining)

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2006, 01:14:00 am »

It only places 16 types of gray stone per fortress (that's 4 map bits worth).  This means that some of your dwarves might like a stone that isn't present, but moods don't request anything more specific than "gray/light/dark".
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!