Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Toy Tokens  (Read 1755 times)

Kinoko_Otoko

• Bay Watcher
  • Behold the saccharine visage of a fluffy wambler.
    • View Profile
Toy Tokens
« on: August 16, 2010, 03:24:31 pm »

Hey all. I'm trying to add some new toys to make things more interesting, and to add some more cultural differentiation. I remember that somebody had a mod with a bunch of extra toys a while back, and I'm basing some of mine on that, with each civ making dolls and figures of their own race (hammerdwarf figure, elven ranger figure), along with several culture neutral items like generic goblin and creature figures (for the hero figures to beat up on) and fluffy wambler dolls. In addition however I was thinking I'd try and add bonsai trees as toys.

I'm pretty sure I can do this to a limited extent, since I can limit them to being made with hard materials, and also to being produced by elves. Since elves don't work stone or metal this should result in +Willow Bonsai+ and *Feather Tree Bonsai* etc.

However, for it to be usable by dwarves I would need to limit it to being made of wood. This would result in =Tower-cap Bonsai= (and whatever else with the new expanded underground). I also would like to specify that dolls be made of cloth (like plush toys or rag dolls). Does anyone know if I can do this, or how? The only tokens on the wiki for toys seem to be names and the HARD_MAT token, which is the one to exclude cloth.

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
Re: Toy Tokens
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2010, 05:50:06 pm »

Unfortunately the items are still very simple and placeholdery, toys and instruments realy do only have the name and hard mat tag. The Elf bonsais (not sure if I should pluralize that?) should work fine, but any other race that doesnt like to make just about everything else from wood is going to make things like *steel bonsai*.

I havnt expirimented with removing the hard_mat tag but I doubt that would keep them from making it out of weird materials completely.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

existent

• Bay Watcher
  • I Watch Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2010, 06:39:35 pm »

but any other race that doesnt like to make just about everything else from wood is going to make things like *steel bonsai*.
Unless you don't give them access to the toy in their entity file, of course.

You could just make an item separately, have it be made out of cloth, and simply name it "xxx toy". Not the same, but still works if its just for flavor.
[DF 0.31.13]  ۝ War of the Ring Mod ۝  [WotR 0.13.3]

War of the Ring is back baby!
A mod based on Lord of the Rings, by JRR Tolkien.

Kinoko_Otoko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2010, 07:44:26 pm »

Wait, so how much control do we have over the other crafted items? Can I just make a new finished good completely, other than toys/instruments/mugs etc.? Should be pretty simple if we can do that... or are they hardcoded?

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2010, 07:55:03 pm »

AFAIK the instruments, crafts and mugs are totally hardcoded!

I have the following:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

One needs to assign the toys to the civs with
   [TOY:ITEM_TOY_BOWL]
   [TOY:ITEM_TOY_CUP]
   [TOY:ITEM_TOY_GOGGLES]
in the entities.
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2010, 10:06:17 pm »

Instruments are not hardcoded and can be modified in the same way as toys can. You can also adjust/replace/add food variants, but they'll be available to all races (well, races that can cook) no matter what.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2010, 05:03:19 pm by 3 »

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2010, 05:56:10 am »

Yeah, there are huge Instrument and Toy mods. Also I've made a TYE mod (Things You Eat) which adds a ton of foods.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Kinoko_Otoko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2010, 09:34:49 am »

I must have missed something, because I didn't find much when I searched for 'toy'. What I meant however was can we make an entirely new type of finished good. But it doesn't look like it. Oh well, I'm sure Toady will get around to it eventually. Bonsai trees aren't exactly very dwarvenly anyway...

I guess we're waiting til we can just define our own end products completely from scratch.

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2010, 09:40:17 am »

"Toyshop" type workshops would be just fun. Although all I can think of is the reactions. =Toy Hammer= + -Toy Dwarf- = *Toy Hammerdwarf*
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

Kinoko_Otoko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2010, 05:20:01 pm »

I think Toady ought to eventually add toys that are figurines based on any in-game creature, weighted towards creatures local to the toy's point of origin. Basically like how any creature can be featured in a work of art, only it would be in the item name instead of just the description.

By the way, HARD_MAT doesn't prevent an item from being made of wood does it? If it does, my bonsai won't work at all.

dree12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2010, 08:06:55 pm »

All materials with [ITEM_HARD] can make [HARD_MAT] things. Wood, can, therefore make [HARD_MAT] things. Remove [ITEM_HARD] from whatever trees you don't want making toys.

Kinoko_Otoko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2010, 05:03:49 pm »

I think I just figured out how to make toys out of specific materials. For instance, if I wanted to make ragdolls out of cloth only, I would make a ragdoll toy item, but NOT put it into the entity files. I would then make a reaction which creates an item of the ragdoll type and accepts only cloth as a reagent. Similarly, I could make a bonsai workshop which uses a reaction to produce bonsai toys out of wood only. As long as I use the GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT token it should work I think. As long as the reaction i in the entity file and not the toy itself, it will only be made by players using the reaction, not by other civs.

Or, if it does exist in the entity file, only add it to one other civ (like bonsai for elves) and use the workshop to limit materials for anyone else who wants to make it (like dwarves). Elves will be the only non-players to make bonsai trees this way.

Can anyone confirm that this is how things work?

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2010, 05:08:51 pm »

The reaction process will work - that sort of thing is used all over the place.

So should the other one.