Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: shields and projectiles help desperatly needed  (Read 780 times)

Foamy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
shields and projectiles help desperatly needed
« on: August 19, 2010, 09:06:48 pm »

I'm working on the dune mod and i am trying to make two kinds of gun. one a laser gun and the other a pellet gun. the problem is that the laster has to be a lot more damaging to unarmoured people than the pellet gun while being unable to penetrate armour. the pelet gun should do similar damage to unarmoured and armoured men.

I've tried almost every combination of weapon and ammo stats and i cannot make 12 men in full shield with lasguns beat 12 unarmored men using pellet pistols.

the lasguns will do massive damage but not as often as the pellets cause minor damage. basically the pellet men are disabling the lasgunners faster so they don't have enough time to kill more than 3 or 4.

the problem is that without increasing the projectile size the las guns will only damage the skin or fat layers most of the time. they do do more deadly damage but i cannot increase the percentage. the beam size cannot be increased without the beams penetrating shields.

i can try changing the projectile or shield material properties but it will take a long time and i don't know if it would work. i would move onto that but it increases the number of variables and i am not experienced enough with the game engine to know what to try.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I would really appreciate any ideas. I've put hours into this and don't know which direction to try now.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
Re: shields and projectiles help desperatly needed
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2010, 10:48:57 pm »

I have kind of a dumb question. Have you tried changing the beams into blunt damage instead of edge damage? Hammers seem to take forever to kill people in vanilla DF, so that may be a viable route.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Foamy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2010, 11:11:42 pm »

That seems to just replace minor cuts to minor bruises. i didn't play around with the settings though but blunt seems like it would be mostly impacted by mass which cannot be changed.

Foamy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2010, 02:00:36 pm »

bump