Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I need a bit of help with embarks inside a town.  (Read 1054 times)

C4lv1n

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
I need a bit of help with embarks inside a town.
« on: August 19, 2010, 03:49:57 pm »

---What I've done so far---
(Skip this if you don't really care about it)
The town is a human town, it takes up a 3x3 area, and I embarked in a 4x4 which gives me access to a brook, and a road that runs down the side of the embark area. There are quite a few people living here, about 75.

So here's what I've done and am doing so far (If this is something you want to know)
1. Setup my fort, beds, workshops, ect.
2. Stole all their food from the houses (Still working on this)
3. Knocked down the wall of a trinket shop and put my Depot inside, dug a passage way from under the floor to my fort.
4. The Depot passage is currently my main entrance, and so I am rigging it up to trap it's occupants, then flood if I need it to. (The Depot its self won't flood, as it's above ground)

---Actual Question---

So, what I want to know is:
1. What I can get from killing the members of the town.(Bones? Skin? Meat?)
2. Is it worth it to kill them?(I could leave the military ones alive as backup)
3. How can I do it without making them try to kill me.
4. Anything else that's really useful/beneficial, etc, that I could be doing/getting while in this town?

As for killing them, my current plan is to turn their meeting buildings into drowning chambers, but I'm not sure if they will continue to go into those buildings if I damage/alter them

EDIT:: I'm still crusing along at 100fps, even with all the people, so killing them isn't going to make it any better.
I've played a guitar with my penis.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: I need a bit of help with embarks inside a town.
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2010, 03:58:07 pm »

The inhabitants of the town will wander around aimlessly.  They will not notice or care if you demolish their buildings or start killing them off.  Unless you have modded your entity raw files, you cannot use their bones, skin, or meat, although you can steal their clothing and all their other possessions.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2010, 04:00:07 pm »

Carefully dig under the entire town. Balance it on one support. Connect support to lever. Pull lever. No ??? for you. Congratulations, you have successfully sapped a settlement, go get yourself a spy hat kid.

Agakdeb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2010, 06:59:34 pm »

Carefully dig under the entire town. Balance it on one support. Connect support to lever. Pull lever. No ??? for you. Congratulations, you have successfully sapped a settlement, go get yourself a spy hat kid.
"Oh dear, it appears I've made quite a mess".

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2010, 07:57:29 pm »

use the freindship mod so they'll work with your dwarves.

GuudeSpelur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2010, 10:36:41 pm »

DWARF SAPPIN' MAH CITAY!
This fortress is turning into some kind of supervillain lair or something.
You do remember that you've been farming gigantic wingless dragon-fish for profit and Fun, right?

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2010, 11:41:16 pm »

Ahhhh, the complete and utter void of ethics.  Good ol' DF.

You know, if I were to embark on a human village, I'd probably just keep them all as sentient pets, and actually wall them off and defend them as a neat curiosity for my fort.

(Or you can use one of those hacks that lets you enslave the whole town, and give yourself a mixed-race city.)

Anyway, for the actual questions, as sentient beings, dwarven ethics (changable in the raws) prevent the butchering of them or the use of their skin (or rather, "leather") as backpack or loincloth material. 

They don't attack you unless other human civs attack you.  You can actually "co-exist" with a goblin tower right up until the first goblin ambush, then the entire tower turns hostile.  (This was in 40d, though, 2010 may have changed something.)

The main benefit to having a human town, besides the crap you can steal, is having a nice conversation piece above your fortress, and the guards, which are like a free set of guards for the first couple of years to mop up some goblin ambushes for you.  You should be careful, though, as humans sometimes do stupid things, like let their children punch hippos so that they go on dwarf-killing rampages of revenge.  This isn't a problem if you take a little time to wall off, or otherwise manipulate all the humans to be in positions of your own choosing.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Agakdeb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2010, 05:44:40 am »

Hey, I just tried to embark on a human settlement but every time I overlap one of the settlement's cells using the local map my embark option greys out. I'm just going to assume that embarking on an occupied settlement like a bunch of really short gypsies is not part of vanilla DF.

Do I need some sort of mod?

Organum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2010, 06:03:57 am »

The only settlements you can't embark on naturally are dwarven settlements. At least, that's what I've seen before.
If dwarves decided to live in trees like hippies, they'd still do it better than the elves.

Agakdeb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2010, 06:08:13 am »

Well, that explains it :D

JAFANZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2010, 06:19:57 am »

Edit: Please ignore my previous brainfart.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2010, 06:31:53 am by JAFANZ »