Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: FPS drops when not hitting buttons  (Read 1521 times)

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
FPS drops when not hitting buttons
« on: November 29, 2007, 11:56:00 pm »

I've got an interesting one here, and I don't believe anyone else has reported it.  First off, I started this game in 33a, and when I upgraded to 33b, I had the problem where I no longer have contact with the outside world.  No traders, no immigrants, etc.  I don't know if that's relevant, but I thought I'd mention it.  The dwarves are also not having any children.

My actual problem is this: my FPS was averaging around 65 for the last few game years.  I turned off artifacts and invasions as I am building an enormous structure with a lot of stone blocks.  I expected my FPS to drop slowly as I had more and more items to deal with, but it was going along fine.  All of a sudden, about a game year ago, my FPS tanked.  It went down to 10-25 FPS all at once.  I kept waiting for it to fix itself, but it didn't.  I haven't done anything different in the game, nothing has changed.

After experimenting a little bit, I have found a way to increase it: hitting buttons on the keyboard.  For some reason the FPS increases to about 45 whenever I am hitting a key.  I tap the arrow keys back and forth while I watch my dwarves work and I get that boost, but as soon as I stop, it drops right back down to about 15.

I can upload a save file if need be, and I've been backing up seasonally, so I can also give one from before it happened.

Also, now that I think of it, there is a dwarf in my fortress who does nothing.  he used to work just fine, but all of a sudden one day he just... stopped.  He has applicable jobs enabled and there is plenty of work to do, but he just sits there.  I thought maybe he was depressed, but his mood is actually quite happy.  I thought maybe he was stuck, but he moves around just fine to eat, drink, and go on break.  But the rest of the time he just... sits there.  No job.  I even tried drafting him into the military and back, but he went right back to sitting there, unemployed.

Have I discovered the first dwarven bum?

[ November 30, 2007: Message edited by: Sappho ]

Tahin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: FPS drops when not hitting buttons
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2007, 12:28:00 am »

I, too, have noticed a slight boost in fps when I'm moving around, but that might just be my imagination playing tricks on me, as it tends to move between 30 and 60 fps.

Also, does your dwarven bum happen to have anything in his/her profile about being really lazy, or something? I imagine Toady could have added an extremely rare personality trait which makes them not work at all, or something. Probably not.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2007, 01:43:00 am »

No, his personality doesn't have any lazy qualities.  I checked that a while ago to make sure.  In any case, he never used to be lazy before.  All of my dwarves always worked hard until recently, when this one guy decided he'd rather be a hobo.

Now we just need a train for him to ride and he'll be all set.

Fedor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2007, 12:58:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Sappho:
[QB]I've got an interesting one here, and I don't believe anyone else has reported it.  First off, I started this game in 33a, and when I upgraded to 33b, I had the problem where I no longer have contact with the outside world.  No traders, no immigrants, etc.  I don't know if that's relevant, but I thought I'd mention it.  The dwarves are also not having any children.

My actual problem is this: my FPS was averaging around 65 for the last few game years.  I turned off artifacts and invasions as I am building an enormous structure with a lot of stone blocks.  I expected my FPS to drop slowly as I had more and more items to deal with, but it was going along fine.  All of a sudden, about a game year ago, my FPS tanked.  It went down to 10-25 FPS all at once.  I kept waiting for it to fix itself, but it didn't.  I haven't done anything different in the game, nothing has changed.

After experimenting a little bit, I have found a way to increase it: hitting buttons on the keyboard.  For some reason the FPS increases to about 45 whenever I am hitting a key.  I tap the arrow keys back and forth while I watch my dwarves work and I get that boost, but as soon as I stop, it drops right back down to about 15.

I can upload a save file if need be, and I've been backing up seasonally, so I can also give one from before it happened.

I bet ToadyOne would appreciate this savefile - it may in fact point out important problems in the game interface.  Try sending him a PM with a link.

quote:
Also, now that I think of it, there is a dwarf in my fortress who does nothing.  he used to work just fine, but all of a sudden one day he just... stopped.  He has applicable jobs enabled and there is plenty of work to do, but he just sits there.  I thought maybe he was depressed, but his mood is actually quite happy.  I thought maybe he was stuck, but he moves around just fine to eat, drink, and go on break.  But the rest of the time he just... sits there.  No job.  I even tried drafting him into the military and back, but he went right back to sitting there, unemployed.

Have I discovered the first dwarven bum?

There are only two circumstances - that I know of - that could trigger this sort of behavior, and one doesn't apply because a affects only soldiers.  So I have just one question:

Do you have the economy turned on?  If you do, it's /possible/ that your hobo wants work appropriate for his profession and is spending all his time complaining until he gets it.  If you can't get him to work as a civilian, you can probably make him useful as a conscript soldier.  I had a habit of stationing idiots like that on permenant guard detail.   :)

Fedor Andreev is a citizen of the Federated Endeavor. He is a member of the Wandering Minds.

Hypcso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2007, 02:02:00 pm »

About the dwarf: it's likely he's trying to attend a meeting with your mayor or manager. It almost never shows and sometimes can last indefinitely especially if you changed noble positions recently.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2007, 09:58:00 pm »

I do not have the economy enabled, and when dwarves are waiting for a meeting they generally have the job "attending meeting" (even if the one they are meeting with isn't ready yet).  I will send the save file to Toady.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2007, 10:08:00 pm »

And now the FPS problem appears to have fixed itself...  Toady, if you want a save file let me know and I'll send it to you.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2007, 01:56:00 am »

If there's a save file that's showing a problem I want it.  If it's after the fact, I probably won't be able to figure anything out.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2007, 12:10:00 pm »

I will see which of my backup saves shows the problem as soon as I get a chance, and PM you a link to it.

All hail the mighty Toad!