Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Military Training  (Read 558 times)

eraiders

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Military Training
« on: August 19, 2010, 02:14:40 pm »

Hey, I have a microfort going with about 25 dwarves, and 5 full time in the military. I struck a huge vein of adamantine which gave me like 400 raw adamantine. I equipped the military with all adamantine armor and got weapons for them. My question is, is it safe to give them adamantine weapons to train with?

They are all legendary axe/swordsdwarfs, most of their shield skills are legendary, but their armor skills are only from competent to proficient or talented....despite training for years. They have started naming their wooden training weapons, and I don't want them to get too attached to those weapons. Does naming a weapon give it extra bonuses or something? Would there be any injuries if they sparred with adamantine battle axes so they can start getting adjusted/naming those?

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
Re: Military Training
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2010, 02:16:10 pm »

That might not be a good idea. Adamantine is the strongest metal in the game. Probably not a good idea to use them for training.
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

Evergod41

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2010, 02:22:21 pm »

well, cept for the hammerdwarves, then adamantine is better than anything for training, then you can switch 'em back to their lead ones.

Laiska

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2010, 03:09:59 pm »

my military is sparring with superior/exceptional quality steel weapons all the time, but iv yet to witness any injuries. (i suppose were talking about 31. training here)
This is a stack of 21 well-prepared creeping eye intestines roast. The ingredients are well-minced prepared creeping eye heart, minced creeping eye meat, minced creeping eye meat and minced prepared creeping eye intestines.

... Could i have some wine with that?

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2010, 03:12:23 pm »

Don't worry about weapon material/quality. For the reason why, read any sparring report.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

eraiders

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2010, 04:55:03 pm »

What about naming weapons, does that give any bonuses and will the dwarf get a negative thought when I tell him to switch to a adamintine battle axe instead of his named practice axe?

Derekristow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2010, 05:06:21 pm »

No bonuses, and attachment appears to be broken, so it should all be fine.
So my crundles are staying intact unless they're newly spawned... until they are exposed to anything that isn't at room temperature.  This mostly seems to mean blood, specifically, their own.  Then they go poof very quickly.