Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Will this work?  (Read 798 times)

janglur

• Bay Watcher
  • +Blood Soup+
    • View Profile
Will this work?
« on: August 19, 2010, 03:04:33 am »

Can a bridge support another bridge?

Basically, I have three bridge sections.  [bigbridgeconnectedtofloor][smallbridge][bigbridgeconnectedtofloor]

If I retract the big bridges, will the small bridge collapse if it also retracts?

JAFANZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Will this work?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2010, 03:54:01 am »

nope.

[smallbridge] isn't buildable.

Try using a "Support" to hold up a non-retractable bridge (cheaper), with short retracting bridges on either end, linking the retractors & Support to same trigger, you should be able get more victims on the center span that way.

janglur

• Bay Watcher
  • +Blood Soup+
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2010, 04:39:40 am »

Actually, it did let me build the small bridge.  But now it's linked with floors.

Also, supports won't work as well as there's three empty z-levels below this bridge.  =)

Cotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2010, 06:57:34 am »

Actually, I think they can. Or at least I remember playing a succession fort where the previous player had made a +30 tiles long bridge from four normal ones. However, when I pulled the leveler linked to them the two in the middle collapsed.
Well if you remove the [MULTIPLE_LITTER_RARE] tag from dwarves I think they have like 2-4 children each time they give birth. And if you get enough mothers up on the pillars you can probably get a good waterfall going.
Ashes are technically fire-safe.

janglur

• Bay Watcher
  • +Blood Soup+
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2010, 07:36:08 am »

Well, here goes nothin'.  My fort currently has an ultra-long-distance irrigation/waterfall pump system.  Over 250 power needed to run it.

I just go overboard on these things.

Cotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2010, 07:45:51 am »

The small bridge will definitely collapse, just saying.
Well if you remove the [MULTIPLE_LITTER_RARE] tag from dwarves I think they have like 2-4 children each time they give birth. And if you get enough mothers up on the pillars you can probably get a good waterfall going.
Ashes are technically fire-safe.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2010, 08:31:17 am »

In 40d, things were a bit weird with bridges.  You could build a bridge, and then build a second bridge supported by the first bridge.  If you retracted both bridges at the same time, neither would collapse.  If you retracted the first bridge without retracting the second, the second bridge would collapse.  If you retracted the second, then retracted the first, then extended the second, the second would appear floating in air, unsupported yet not collapsing.  I don't know if this behavior has changed in DF2010.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.