Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: New Fort Underway!  (Read 696 times)

janglur

• Bay Watcher
  • +Blood Soup+
    • View Profile
New Fort Underway!
« on: August 18, 2010, 06:40:59 pm »

After finding out how much Fun ambushes and sieges are in DF2010, I have undergone a new project.

So far I have a simple automated goblin grinder, three layers of stone traps, and some guard dogs.  I also have farming started, with irrigation.

However, I want to build a forced-walkthrough section of waterfall made from the irrigation to wash my dwarves automatically (with good thoughts!)
Any suggestions on what to avoid, and how to keep the water flowing without drying up, going overboard, or potentially allowing a siege to trigger some flood Fun?

Here's an overhead of the irrigation:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: August 18, 2010, 06:44:43 pm by janglur »

Mynoris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: New Fort Underway!
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2010, 06:54:15 pm »

This has actually inspired me to try something...

But, for suggestions, try a 'checkerboard' pattern on the floor for the dwarfs with some of the checks being grates so the water will fall through. Since there's not enough build up to spread, the water should go right over the little guys without drowning them.  In theory.  I could just be making stuff up. :D
I have weird, teleporting dwarven doppelgangers!

janglur

• Bay Watcher
  • +Blood Soup+
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2010, 07:29:51 pm »

I'm thinking of just a narrow hallway in covered with grates and a pit beneath.  Grates connected by walls.  It's underway now.

I'm just trying to establish a fool-proof anti-flood mechanism now.

Mynoris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2010, 07:34:35 pm »

I'm thinking of just a narrow hallway in covered with grates and a pit beneath.  Grates connected by walls.  It's underway now.

I'm just trying to establish a fool-proof anti-flood mechanism now.

Good luck with that! :D
I have weird, teleporting dwarven doppelgangers!

janglur

• Bay Watcher
  • +Blood Soup+
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2010, 08:04:25 pm »

First casualty!

Not related to this project!

Trying to set up a vertical shaft from the (tall) mountain to the food stores to put a mill there, my miner decided to dig the hole straight down and somehow managed to fall the entire length of 6 or so z-levels, smashing to bits and 'suffocating'.

=/

He was legendary miner and engraver.  Luckily, I have a second of equal skill.

janglur

• Bay Watcher
  • +Blood Soup+
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2010, 09:25:10 pm »

I decided to do an anti-pressure loop.  But I am still pondering a way to set up an emergency de-flood system..

Khift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2010, 09:33:16 pm »

I lose miners left and right from situations like that. Also, cave-ins when excavating areas with high ceilings. (I like having high ceilings above my main hall. Then I put noble housing bordering it with windows to look into it. Not necessary, but aesthetically pleasing.)

janglur

• Bay Watcher
  • +Blood Soup+
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2010, 11:25:06 pm »

Second casualty!

The watergate is up and working, but when trying to do a bit of an overfill relief, somehow a pumper managed to knock himself into the conduit and drown before I could trigger an emergency drain.  =/

He wasn't terribly important.

More FUN!

Quite a few outside-dwarves killed in a two-team ambush of bow and hammer dwarves.  They penetrated my flimsy 5 layers of stonefall traps, and the wooden spikes in the goblin grinder proved all but useless-  must begin making better!  A couple military dwarves tried to mop them up after my three-dog-one-wolf-one-cougar alarm system failed.

And tantrum spiral!

GAME OVER!
« Last Edit: August 19, 2010, 12:21:48 am by janglur »

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2010, 01:19:41 am »

When you make a waterfall, always be sure to leave two z-levels below the grates, because water tends to "Splash" when there is only one level beneath. Also, I have reason to believe running water sweeps babies from their mother's arms. Do what you will with this information.

janglur

• Bay Watcher
  • +Blood Soup+
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2010, 02:36:24 am »

Hmm, noted.

New fort:  Hatchetbridges!

This time, the goblin grinder will be a 3-z fall!  I imagine it will do better damage even if the weapon traps fail.

Also, can anyone confirm if upright spikes work for falling without a trigger?  There's been some debate on the forums on this.  If so, i'll put this forest to use!  Screw you, hippie elves!

Edit:  Oh carp, Elephants.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2010, 02:42:19 am by janglur »