Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Creatures in HFS (may contain spoilers)  (Read 1203 times)

Aramco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Creatures in HFS (may contain spoilers)
« on: September 05, 2010, 04:55:46 pm »

I have a question. I know that the inhabitants of HFS are randomly created at worldgen.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
(at least thats how the wiki says they are generated.) Does that mean I can't mod a creature to appear in HFS? If not, how would I make something be spawned down there?
Or maybe there's a god who's just completely insane and sends you to Detroit, Michigan in a new body if you ever utter the name "Pat Sajak".

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Creatures in HFS (may contain spoilers)
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2010, 04:58:29 pm »

There were tags you could add to a creature to make them spawn as demons, however I believe these tags are currently not functioning. So at the moment it is impossible to create more demons.
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2010, 04:59:20 pm »

You can, however, give a creature UNDERGROUND_DEPTH:5:5 to make it only ever show up in hell.

Aramco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2010, 05:01:03 pm »

You can, however, give a creature UNDERGROUND_DEPTH:5:5 to make it only ever show up in hell.

I'd thank you, but I don't support thanks in advance, and testing would take a while. But I will test at some point.

EDIT: Oh, I realized I can just use dfreveal to unleash HFS and just check in the units list. My creature didn't show up though...
« Last Edit: September 05, 2010, 05:09:49 pm by Aramco »
Or maybe there's a god who's just completely insane and sends you to Detroit, Michigan in a new body if you ever utter the name "Pat Sajak".

Caesar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2010, 05:12:53 pm »

After generating a world you should be able to 'save world information' (which will give you a map of the world for one).

In one of the files the world's population should be listed. Amongst the information should also be all the demons that live in hell.
Check for your creature there.
Spider Overhaul
Adding realistic spiders to Dwarf Fortress. (Discontinued.)

Godhood VIII
The latest installment in the Godhood roleplaying game series.

Aramco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2010, 05:19:04 pm »

That didn't work either... Also, anything that hits semi molten rock disappears right? So if I emptied a river into the magma sea, it would solidify and disappear at the bottom right? Does that mean I could empty the magma sea with a river?

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2010, 05:27:54 pm »

I can get a creature to show up there. Make sure it has SUBTERRANEAN_CHASM listed as a biome. Weirdly, the count says "unnumbered" which would suggest that a creature based in hell will wander onto the map indefinitely like demons do.

rex mortis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2010, 12:32:35 am »

So if one set the number of random generated demon species to 0, it would be possible to go with fixed types of demons? Did I understand you correctly? This would seriously help to keep all demons killable and make the last stand against infinite hordes more satisfying.
Because death is peaceful and magma is lovely.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2010, 01:40:18 pm »

Well... sort of. I don't know if there's a minimum on the number of generated demons, and the HFS-based creatures wouldn't work like demons do; they'd just be wild animals down there. You could make them somewhat aggressive via LIKES_FIGHTING and maybe some personality tokens, but they wouldn't behave in the same way at all, nor would it be likely for all types to show up on the same map. Oh, and they'll probably wander on and off from the map edge.

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: haunting moos]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2010, 10:15:03 pm »

Adding the [DEMON] tag, as well as the biome tag, might work...
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2010, 10:58:02 pm »

No, the DEMON tag isn't parsed correctly, nor are the equivalent unique demon and titan/forgotten beast tags.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2010, 09:45:45 am »

Looking at a bunch of extracted demon raws, they all seem to use the combination [DEMON] + [BIOME:SUBTERRANEAN_CHASM] + [UNDERGROUND_DEPTH:5:5] (as well as [POPULATION_NUMBER:5:10] + [CLUSTER_NUMBER:1:5] - presumably, the population number is ignored for demons).
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Adamantine Fist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2010, 03:10:54 pm »

Well, it would certainly be interesting to replace the standard randomized demon spawns with hell-wildlife. I know I can't really enjoy hell because the swarms of fps-munching demons drop me down to around 1 fps.
and D) involve Clippy, the helpful paperclip, to tell you what to do.
It looks like you are trying to commit elven genocide! What would you like to do?