Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarf Mood change under Economy  (Read 892 times)

nerdpride

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarf Mood change under Economy
« on: August 18, 2010, 12:20:38 pm »

Been a while since I played, might be a nice time to get back into it.  Anyway.

I think it would be neat to add a bonus to the economy.  Also the consensus appears to be that moods are difficult to deal with (I know there's one thing in the works for that).  Combine these, and you get a change where fey or possessed dwarves only craft artifacts out of raw materials that they could actually find and afford.

It starts with the moody dwarf basically selling anything she can spare.  Usually, she wouldn't be able to buy raw materials, but she could grab the items as in the current mood system and then drop the money (it's no longer owned by the dwarf) wherever she gets a piece of her project.  The materials she really wants will have to be prioritized and personality demands will have to be resolved with funding.  She might also wait a while or attempt to trade with some caravans if something she really wants is unavailable.

Since the dwarf is in control, she won't have a failed mood unless she is killed or tantrums through normal-ish circumstances (which is a little bit more possible since she's likely low on wealth).  Also, it encourages the player to raise the standard of living for as many dwarves as possible, not just happiness, so that you get the best artifacts.

Eh, just a thought.

sweitx

• Bay Watcher
  • Sun Berry McSunshine
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Mood change under Economy
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2010, 01:08:35 pm »

Except the idea of a mood is more similar to insanity (or OCD) the inspiration.  A dwarf under mood will probably just take the item, and other dwarf most likely recognize a mood and decide it is in their best interest not to interfere.
One of the toads decided to go for a swim in the moat - presumably because he could path through the moat to my dwarves. He is not charging in, just loitering in the moat.

The toad is having a nice relaxing swim.
The goblin mounted on his back, however, is drowning.

existent

• Bay Watcher
  • I Watch Bays
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Mood change under Economy
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2010, 03:13:50 pm »

Of course, the economy doesn't work, but this idea sounds kinda interesting. I give NW about three minutes to get in here.
[DF 0.31.13]  ۝ War of the Ring Mod ۝  [WotR 0.13.3]

War of the Ring is back baby!
A mod based on Lord of the Rings, by JRR Tolkien.